Question about my new steel tank (new to me).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please point out how having it all the way open can possibly damage the seat:

View attachment 565273

Maybe it will place a little more stress on the O-ring on the stem but on most scuba valves they have now been replaced with an extra Teflon washer.

It was never explained to me in detail so I can't do it for you. Maybe it is stem O ring as you posted. I do know what works however after 50 years of experience.

Next time you are in your bathroom reach behind the toilet and try turning the valve check out how hard it is to turn. Mine is already backed off a bit can easily turn.

James79,
Here is the measured without taking the valve off. I can take more pics when I take it off.

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 79
It was never explained to me in detail so I can't do it for you. Maybe it is stem O ring as you posted. I do know what works however after 50 years of experience.

Next time you are in your bathroom reach behind the toilet and try turning the valve check out how hard it is to turn. Mine is already backed off a bit can easily turn.
I do not use a scuba valve on my toilet and backing off that valve to save the stem packing has never killed anyone. Backing off a scuba valve can and has and we should all be teaching against this old and dangerous practice. Sorry to be so adamant on this but the idea of backing off is still repeated and even taught by some less than knowledgeable instructors and we need to stop it and discourage it at every opportunity.

Do you open your valves all the way without backing off a bit? That'll wear the seat for sure.

My tanks (steels filled to 3600 plus or minus 200 and Al) all the way, but I have never had any seats go bad. The tanks/valves that I mentioned, had not used by me prior to the service but the previous owner would not have backed off. I do not think the tanks had been used in 5 or 6 years, and he would not have used them very often.

OP a K valve is one without the lever on the side. Unlike a J valve that stops delivering air @300psi it delivers air until empty. These days most every divers use a K valve and some form of Submersible Pressure Gauge giving us much better air management. Don't drain the air dive it. Tank capacity is what it is, just means shorter dives. The old school of thought was that a 72 would never get you bent because it just does not the have the air to stay deep long enough. I have dove with women that puts that school of thought right out the window but, for it'll probably work for you; it does for me 50+ years of diving never been bent. I'm a underwater Hoover myself.

As far as cost v renting again how much do you dive? A hydro is about $50.00 will you rent more than $50.00 worth of tanks? My question how much is owning your own tank worth to you?

@carobinsoniv I just put a 50+year old Jvavle back in service didn't require a thing servicing valves IMO is waste of money.

Honestly, I don't have an urge of "owning a tank". Probably because I am too new to have that feeling yet, or maybe I will never do. What I am thinking now is that if I can get similar capacity as the AL80 and lighter weight, then that is a plus. Since I remember bitching about carrying those rental tanks up and down the road. I have not carrying them while climbing the rocks yet, not sure if I ever can. If it can only have less than the AL80, then it might not be an option, since the AL80 doesn't last me that long. Remember on those short training dives, I replaced tank each dive, and I only have a little bit more than 1000PSI left each tank. I think each AL80 doesn't last me 45 mins. So decision for me is that should I hydro/VIP/tumble/valve if I can't get the +.

I do not use a scuba valve on my toilet and backing off that valve to save the stem packing has never killed anyone. Backing off a scuba valve can and has and we should all be teaching against this old and dangerous practice. Sorry to be so adamant on this but the idea of backing off is still repeated and even taught by some less than knowledgeable instructors and we need to stop it and discourage it at every opportunity.

I think we have to agree to disagree one this. Well you've wasted your efforts on me my friend.

Honestly, I don't have an urge of "owning a tank". Probably because I am too new to have that feeling yet, or maybe I will never do. What I am thinking now is that if I can get similar capacity as the AL80 and lighter weight, then that is a plus. Since I remember bitching about carrying those rental tanks up and down the road. I have not carrying them while climbing the rocks yet, not sure if I ever can. If it can only have less than the AL80, then it might not be an option, since the AL80 doesn't last me that long. Remember on those short training dives, I replaced tank each dive, and I only have a little bit more than 1000PSI left each tank. I think each AL80 doesn't last me 45 mins. So decision for me is that should I hydro/VIP/tumble/valve if I can't get the +.

A LP 72 will definitely provide you with less air than a AL80.

Honestly, I don't have an urge of "owning a tank". Probably because I am too new to have that feeling yet, or maybe I will never do. What I am thinking now is that if I can get similar capacity as the AL80 and lighter weight, then that is a plus. Since I remember bitching about carrying those rental tanks up and down the road. I have not carrying them while climbing the rocks yet, not sure if I ever can. If it can only have less than the AL80, then it might not be an option, since the AL80 doesn't last me that long. Remember on those short training dives, I replaced tank each dive, and I only have a little bit more than 1000PSI left each tank. I am sure each AL80 doesn't last me 45 mins.
So, I love my old school 72s.... A little pro/con for you;
Weight- a smidge lighter, but less buoyant. Results in less lead on belt (approximately 4 to 6 lb)
Capacity- at 2250 they are only 65 cf. However, many shops fill lp steels to 2600 without even looking at what is stamped. If you have a shop that does "cave fills" at 2800 they are a true 80 cf
Trim- they don't get as floaty in the tail as they empty.
Tank ownership- keep it full and dive when you want without having to coordinate picking up or returning a rental.
Value- have to do the math on price difference between a fill and a rental at your shop. For me the math breaks even at about 20 dives a year per tank I own. I may not make those numbers, or I may far exceed them... For me it's close enough the convenience makes it worth it.

Your milage may vary....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom