Question about military trained divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Hoppa:
this is absolutely correct! what people see on tv is nothing more than a brief image of buds (basic underwater demolition/seal training) even at that they see barely nothing. bud/s focuses on the basics of becoming a combat diver, later advanced schools will teach ALL forms of scuba. making it through buds just buys you a ticket into advanced seal training or SQT. and not everyone makes it from there. all seals are considered divemasters. even before entering the water in 2nd phase at buds seals have to undergo 2 weeks of advanced education relating to physics, physiology, and medicine and how they relate to being underwater if they fail they are GONE. doing daily freedives to 50' and tying knots to build confidence underwater is also daily. being able to swim 50 meters underwater in a full combat uniform is also mandatory. navigating in absolute zero visibilty over a mile easy to reaching the hull of a ship to be able to plant mines, then having to move to the extract point. not to mention the infamous "shark attacks" that are given by the instructors. these things are just a brief image of some dive training held in coronado. not to mention that seals are completiing all of these things usually with under 4 hrs of sleep a night doing daily 4 mile timed beach runs (31 min in boots in the sand) and 5 mile open ocean sidestroke swims in 60 degree water and dont even get me going on about the o course. seals are more comfortable in the water than any special operations force in the world and any other recreational program.

Great but none of those things are required or directly relate to the requirements of any of the courses that I teach or have taught. I posted some of the essessment criteria of one agency above. Relate it to that for me so I have some frame of reference.
it just makes me angry that people look at videos on tv and think they know what seal training is all about they have no idea. saying they are only taught the "basics" of scuba diving, that is someone talking out of there a$$ that has no idea.

Get as angry as you want but I've said over and over that I do not have any idea and have in fact not stated that I know what they are taught.

Apparantly none of you have any idea either because no one has provided any information at all that pertains to the subject of the thread.

sweatfrog:
The experienced diver process, while good in theory, doesn't give a military diver enough dive buddy awareness. The process is so inexpensive to get certified, that you may as well put them through the whole course. Otherwise, have them do a Discover Scuba with an Instructor, to avoid hassles. If you take documentation with you to a third world country, you might be able to dive. Depends on the operation and a myriad of other factors.

ok, going back almost to the beginning of the thread. What do you mean by "doesn't give the military diver enough dive buddy awareness"?

My classes are not inexpensive and I absolutely would not want to make some one take a class that doesn't teach them anything if they can be credited for already having done it. I have better things to do and so do they.

MikeFerrara:
I absolutely believe you that the documentories are BS. Heck the news is BS and I haven't see a good diving show since JC stoped making films.

You say the training is more complete. I'm asking how? I believe every one that the training is very hard but what is the diving content and specifically how does it correspond to the requirements of any of the courses that we teach? For any one familiar with military training requirements and recreational training requirements it should be en extremely simple question to answer.

Here is some of the information you asked for and its relationship to recreational training.

Open circuit test (similar to DM test on physics and physiology)
Intro to SCUBA charging
Diving safety precautions
O/C review/remediation/field day
O/C familiarization
25' free ascent
O/C dive #1
O/C dive #2
O/C dive #3 procedures brief/dirt dive
day ditch-n-don
O/C dive #4 procedures brief/dirt dive
night ditch-n-don
O/C dive #5
day gear exchange
O/C dive #6 procedures brief/dirt dive
night gear exchange
O/C dive #7
pool comp familiarization
O/C dive #8
pool competency
pool comp (retest) prep for 130'
secumar charging
LAR V dive #1
secumar charging
LAR V dive #2
table checks
Closed circuit review
Closed circuit test
secumar charging
LAR dive #3
LAR dive #4
LAR dive #5
LAR dive #6
table checks throughout
LAR dive #7
LAR dive #8
LAR dive #9 (recip w/turtleback)
LAR dive #10
LAR dive #11
LAR dive #12
LAR dive #14 (recip)
LAR dive #15
LAR dive #16
LAR dive #17
LAR dive #18
Diving final overview
LAR dive #19
50' free ascent
LAR dive #13 (pool skills)
LAR dive #20 (contour)
LAR dive #21
phase critiques/peer evals

This is punctuated by runs, swims, barracks inspections and other Navy stuff. Hope this helps you understand that SEALs are well trained for their mission. This is just BUD'S training. They get mission specific when they reach their platoon.

MikeFerrara:
Much of the training shown was done with double hose regulators, double tanks and no BC of any kind. They spent lots of time being harrassed...having things torn off them and being knocked around, removing and replacing equipment...all while kneeling...no BC remember.

What they most likely showed was a small portion of “pool comp” or pool competency. The purpose of this test is not to show an individuals buoyancy skill, but to gauge how they will react during adverse conditions, during which the student must remove and ditch there gear.

Usually the instructors will rip off the individuals mask and fins. Next, they cut off the student’s air, either by turning off the tank, or by clamping down on the hose. At each step the student has a certain number of steps that must be followed precisely. Otherwise the student will fail.

At the end the instructor will rip the regulator (double hose) out of the student mouth just as they are exhaling and tie it a knot around the first stage. Once again the student has to follow certain procedures to ascertain what has happened and how to deal with it. If not done correctly the student will fail.

Then the student will have the same thing happen again, but this time the knot will be impossible to get out. The student must ditch there gear, and make sure that it is weighted down so the enemy will be unable to find it, and then come to the surface making sure to blow bubbles the entire way.

MikeFerrara:
The first category is buoyancy control
At depth
During ascent
at safety stop.

Buoyancy control is extremely important to a SEAL, and I will give you several examples as to why:

First, diving a closed circuit rebreather using a 100% O2, forces a diver to stay shallow. When diving to a target a buddy team will maintain a constant depth of 10-12 feet. Generally this is done for at least 4 hours.

Second, when diving a closed circuit rebreather it is imperative that no water enter the rig. On the front of the mouthpiece there is a small lever that opens and closes the regulator. If one diver's rig should fail, the team must begin to buddy breathe. The two divers will immediately go to a position where the donor is on the bottom and the recipient is on top. Now the donor will take two breaths, close the regulator and pass it over his head to the other team member who will open the regulator take two breaths and pass it back. Remeber that this is double hose regulator so there isn't much room to maneuver. Obviously, this will go on during the transit to and from the target. All the while maintaining a constant depth.

Another good example of buoyancy skills would be during locking in/out from a submarine. During this we would be using standard air, probably twin 80s. Basically what happens is the submarine will slow down to 1 knot, we exit from the trunk and begin tethering gear to the outside of the sub. If you didn’t have good buoyancy skills you could find yourself becoming separated from the sub.

I’ll expand more on this set of topics later.

MikeFerrara:
The next category is Propulsion technique which is devided into...
Finning technique and efficiency
Body position for low drag and silt avoidance
pulling technique where applicable.

Finning technique and propulsion is definitely something that is constantly being practiced. Each individual needs to be able to cover a 100 yards in 3 minutes, not a second less or a second more. Teams travel several miles underwater based on compass headings and time. All buddy teams must arrive at the target or extraction site at the same time.

Obviously if an individual doesn’t have good body position, or has a lot of drag they will not be able to maintain there speed over an extended distance, which is paramount to our mission.

Silt avoidance has more to do with buoyancy control, then finning technique, and I think I have adequately answered that. However, one more reason to avoid stirring up the bottom would be to prevent enemy detection. Although most ports are so murky you would lucky if you could see your hand in front of your face

MikeFerrara:
Especially on a deep dive (or at 30 ft? on an O2 rebreather) the extra work caused by the constant hard finning and headup attitude would be dangerous...admittedly made slightly less so by their very good phisical condition but bad news none the less.

If the diver were going to go to 30 feet we would not be using a rebreather at 100% O2. For deeper dives a SEAL would use either a MK15 or MK16, which is a mixed gas rebreather.

MikeFerrara:
the last diving the documentory showed was supposed to be the graduates...and they were on rebreathers.

They wouldn’t have been graduates.

MikeFerrara:
So could you please explain where I'm being ignorant?

Because you’re basing your conclusions on a small and misrepresentative picture of what is included or not included in our training. In addition, due to the fact that you have never personally experienced it, or even seen it in its entirety there is no way that you can be objective.

MikeFerrara:
I personally have seen instances where the lack of buoyancy/position control contributed to if not was the direct cause of a diver panicking and being injured. I've also seen divers with poor technique exhibit signs of CO2 problems and panic because they thought they weren't getting air when there was plent.

I have been involved with the SEAL community since 1989. Since then, I can not think of one situation where a diver showed any signs of panic. And as stated earlier buoyancy control is something that is always practiced.

MikeFerrara:
Are seals taught how to avoid damaging coral and the things that live in it? Are they taught anything about recreational charter boat procedures? What is their decompression training? From the show I refered to I got the impression that these guys were primarily being trained to dive O2 rebreathers. That means diving...above 30 ft? No need for dive tables here is there? Do they ever have to even do a safety stop or a decompression stop?

Believe it or not we are taught to not damage coral, but rarely do we ever get to see any. As students you are primarily trained to dive an O2 rebreather. You will learn to dive more advanced rigs once you have graduated.

Of course we use dive tables and perform safety stops when using standard air. Although, we use the Navy dive tables and not the RDP.

MikeFerrara:
You say the training is more complete. I'm asking how? I believe every one that the training is very hard but what is the diving content and specifically how does it correspond to the requirements of any of the courses that we teach? For any one familiar with military training requirements and recreational training requirements it should be en extremely simple question to answer.

At this point I would say it depends on what you are comparing it to: If you are comparing my training as a BUD/S student and a Navy SEAL, to PADI’s and NAUI’s, basic open water training then there is no comparison. What I learned in the military would be far more complete and extremely safer. I base this on the fact that not only was I a Navy SEAL, but am currently a working PADI Dive Master. In addition, I would like to say that I have barely scratched the surface of all the dive training that I received while in the military.

Mike, if you have anymore questions that I can answer or have not answered, then send me a PM, and I will give you my phone number.

Jeff

MikeFerrara:
ok, going back almost to the beginning of the thread. What do you mean by "doesn't give the military diver enough dive buddy awareness"?

My classes are not inexpensive and I absolutely would not want to make some one take a class that doesn't teach them anything if they can be credited for already having done it. I have better things to do and so do they.

The people I've had come to me for an experienced diver card (very few to be exact) have been out of the military for decades. More than a little review benefits me and everyone else in the class. They have probably forgotten more than most recreational divers will ever know and they appreciate the thorough approach.

I am obviously under the mistaken impression that you no longer hold a membership with any agency.

You obviously have more time for this than I do, the question in the thread was valid until you started this diatribe. I for one never claimed to be an ex-spurt (drip under pressure). You seem to have some kind of complex. Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Where did you dig up all that information. The funny thing is, as I am reading your post I can actually remember some of those dives. Although, I will never forget "pool comp."

When it first started I was doing really good, and then the instructor went to tie the first knot in my reg. But he accidently ripped the whole thing apart! So I grabbed the hose and I start sucking air right from the hose.

Well the instrutor sees this, and they give me the thumbs up. So I go up, and the diving officer comes over to me and tells me great job. Well I start thinking that they will just go ahead and pass me and I won't have to complete it.

Oh no! I get the good furtune to sit and wait until everyone is finished, so I can use another student's gear. And instead of having one or two instructors harrassing me, I'm stuck with all of them.

So typical, Bromley !!!
Didn't you just love it when all the instructors/Tac Officers started hovering around you?

sweatfrog:
The people I've had come to me for an experienced diver card (very few to be exact) have been out of the military for decades. More than a little review benefits me and everyone else in the class. They have probably forgotten more than most recreational divers will ever know and they appreciate the thorough approach.

Are these people who haven't dives in decades? Decades ago (depending on how many I guess) no one was using a BC so I would think that this diver would need some training to meet current standards. [/QUOTE]

I am obviously under the mistaken impression that you no longer hold a membership with any agency. [/QUOTE]

I'm an IANTD member however I droped my insurance a few months ago and haven't renewed yet for this year. I'm still mulling that one over.
You obviously have more time for this than I do, the question in the thread was valid until you started this diatribe. I for one never claimed to be an ex-spurt (drip under pressure). You seem to have some kind of complex. Just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may indeed have more time than you.

You could call it diatribe if you want but I simply explained what I saw, where I saw it and what I thought of it.

I haven't been diagnosed as having any kind of complex but I do have some strong opinions about dive training. Aside from seeing too many accidents it seems every dive site with many divers using it is a mess and it's no fun. Is is a complex to prefer dive sites that aren't destroyed by divers and to dislike seeing them hauled off in ambulances? Maybe so. Or maybe you think I have a complex because I don't agree with you or because I don't go to another forum when you tell me to? You are of course welcome to your opinion just pardon me if I'm not impressed by it.

I saw Dale Earnhart Jr. driving a race car on TV. He was speeding, hitting other cars. didn't use turn signals. Judging by what I saw I would never give him a drivers license.

Captain

sweatfrog:
Here is some of the information you asked for and its relationship to recreational training.

Open circuit test (similar to DM test on physics and physiology)
Intro to SCUBA charging
Diving safety precautions
O/C review/remediation/field day
O/C familiarization
25' free ascent
O/C dive #1
O/C dive #2
O/C dive #3 procedures brief/dirt dive
day ditch-n-don
O/C dive #4 procedures brief/dirt dive
night ditch-n-don
O/C dive #5
day gear exchange
O/C dive #6 procedures brief/dirt dive
night gear exchange
O/C dive #7
pool comp familiarization
O/C dive #8
pool competency
pool comp (retest) prep for 130'
secumar charging
LAR V dive #1
secumar charging
LAR V dive #2
table checks
Closed circuit review
Closed circuit test
secumar charging
LAR dive #3
LAR dive #4
LAR dive #5
LAR dive #6
table checks throughout
LAR dive #7
LAR dive #8
LAR dive #9 (recip w/turtleback)
LAR dive #10
LAR dive #11
LAR dive #12
LAR dive #14 (recip)
LAR dive #15
LAR dive #16
LAR dive #17
LAR dive #18
Diving final overview
LAR dive #19
50' free ascent
LAR dive #13 (pool skills)
LAR dive #20 (contour)
LAR dive #21
phase critiques/peer evals

This is punctuated by runs, swims, barracks inspections and other Navy stuff. Hope this helps you understand that SEALs are well trained for their mission. This is just BUD'S training. They get mission specific when they reach their platoon.

I guess I'm still not clear on specific skills and performance requirements as they would relate to rec standards. I never doubted that they were well trained for their mission. The question is are they well trained for recreational diving?

Back
Top Bottom