Question about military trained divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Are divers that are trained by the military in the use of scuba given any kind of documents showing that they have been trained to dive? If so can they use these documents to board dive boats etc?

We had two military divers show up for an openwater/scubadiver course. They said it was worth it to them to avoid the hassle on dive boats, etc. We taught them some stuff, they taught us some stuff, it was fun all around.

Atticus:
We had two military divers show up for an openwater/scubadiver course. They said it was worth it to them to avoid the hassle on dive boats, etc. We taught them some stuff, they taught us some stuff, it was fun all around.

Did they have documentation indicating they were trained? If so would your shop have taken them out on a boat or shore dive for that matter.

I was not shown any documentation.

As to whether or not I would rent them equipment or take them on a dive -- I'd have to review their documentation and see if it stated that they are certified to dive and that the training was on SCUBA (as opposed to surface supplied or an oxygen rebreather).

Sounds like a ticklish situation. Care to share the reasons behind the question?

Are divers that are trained by the military in the use of scuba given any kind of documents showing that they have been trained to dive?

Yes.

If so can they use these documents to board dive boats etc?

Not usually, but they can get a YMCA certification simply by presenting their training record and paying for the card. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) they can get a PADI certification through their experienced diver program.

Atticus:
I was not shown any documentation.

As to whether or not I would rent them equipment or take them on a dive -- I'd have to review their documentation and see if it stated that they are certified to dive and that the training was on SCUBA (as opposed to surface supplied or an oxygen rebreather).

Sounds like a ticklish situation. Care to share the reasons behind the question?

I believe they are trained in SCUBA, surface supplied and rebreather.

I've had three calls, I think from the same person, about this over the past 6 months.

Walter:
Not usually,...

Would you know the reason why?

Walter:
.....get a YMCA certification simply by presenting their training record and paying for the card. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) they can get a PADI certification through their experienced diver program.

I'm not sure about PADI but I know NAUI has something similar to the YMCA which I have done with one person.

The way someone gets a civilian certification in the military is for one of the other Instructors or students in the class to hold a civilian Instructors card. The military documentation is the graduation certificate, DD-214 and logged dives.

The experienced diver process, while good in theory, doesn't give a military diver enough dive buddy awareness. The process is so inexpensive to get certified, that you may as well put them through the whole course. Otherwise, have them do a Discover Scuba with an Instructor, to avoid hassles. If you take documentation with you to a third world country, you might be able to dive. Depends on the operation and a myriad of other factors.

While in Alaska this past April, I was diving with an old friend who is now in charge of all the SEAL Delivery Vehicles in the world. He never got a civilian card and does over 200 dives a year. He has dove more rigs than most people know exist, but the only way they let him dive was because I'm an Instructor.

sweatfrog:
While in Alaska this past April, I was diving with an old friend who is now in charge of all the SEAL Delivery Vehicles in the world. He never got a civilian card and does over 200 dives a year. He has dove more rigs than most people know exist, but the only way they let him dive was because I'm an Instructor.

Lets not forget the fact that he can kill someone with one punch.

Back
Top Bottom