Question about military trained divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sweatfrog:
While in Alaska this past April, I was diving with an old friend who is now in charge of all the SEAL Delivery Vehicles in the world. He never got a civilian card and does over 200 dives a year. He has dove more rigs than most people know exist, but the only way they let him dive was because I'm an Instructor.

Do the civilian training agencies teach more or better skills than the military? It would seem that trained and certified to use scuba would mean just that--trained and certified to use scuba.

Things have changed but I don’t think that much. We were so deep into the buddy system and buddy skills it almost over rode some of the other training issues we had.

Anytime the instructors called for buddies you better be able to touch each other. That meant all the time except off time, which there wasn’t much of.

If I was on the pot my buddy better be on the one next to me or the flies hit the Westinghouse. At chow we had to eat together. In the barracks we had bunks next to each other. In the water we had to be within reach at ALL times we weren’t on surface supplied air.

The consequences were serious. They MIGHT let you by once early in training if it was an out of the water situation. But once was all you might get. For a violation they would take a 6” hawser (sp) that had rings braided in 6’ apart. It got wrapped around your waist and locked on so you were never more than 6’ from your buddy 24-7. That was a death sentence. Nobody went much further in training with it on and both would wash out.

I know they can’t use that anymore due to the kinder gentler military but it had a very serious affect on us when they could use it.

Most of the problems with military divers it not the training but the attitude they have towards civilian divers. “Some” of the military guys are just jerks with a better than everyone else attitude.

Not all-military divers got surface supplied or rebreather training. Not all-military divers are combat divers and not all are repair or salvage or research and so on. There are a lot of different fields and specialties just like in the civilian world.

Just like in the civilian world some are good divers and some are poor divers so you can’t just say the whole group are poor divers. That would be the same as saying every civilian-trained diver is an accident waiting to happen.

My brother-in-law was a SEAL. What a fricken jerk he was and a piss poor civilian diver. Better than everyone else at everything anyone was doing. He was even better at molesting his own daughter. Even better at living until he took his own life.

I have good friends that were SEALS and they are good divers with great buddy skills. We joke all the time about tossing them a wrench and watching them try to kill someone with it and tossing me a gun so I can weld it to the bottom of a ship.

Done ranting.

Gary D.

IMHO a military diver is taught under a mission orientated system that is no better or worse than any recreational system. It is just different.

It is difficult for a military trained diver to obtain a equivalent cert because there is no equivalent recreational cert for what military/commercial divers do.

The best way for someone with military/commercial experience to obtain a recreation cert is to bring a logbook and any documentation to a instructor and ask for the next level certificate. One example of this is the Advanced Open Water from PADI which is just 5 dives and a little book work. The instructor is given flexability in evaluating a divers skills before enrolling them in a AOW course and a check out dive to evaluate the diver would prove their skill level.

After the 5 dives, voila, a new AOW carded diver, and no problems in future. For this customer you could roll the EANx course into the AOW and qualify him/her for AOW and EANx at the same time.

More information on this topic is available in the GS&P section of the PADI Instructor Manual, FAQ numbers 14 and 15.

Have a great dive.
Paul.

Military training for SCUBA is far more complete than any agency's OW course. That's why YMCA and some other agencies will issue an OW card to military divers who show documentation of their training. All this discussion of Discover SCUBA and making them take an OW course is silly. It's also not necessary, send them to me, I'll issue certs to those with proper documentation.

jbd:
Are divers that are trained by the military in the use of scuba given any kind of documents showing that they have been trained to dive? If so can they use these documents to board dive boats etc?

All military training comes with a comprehensive breakdown on what is taught and sometimes class standings to. This is so we can transfer them to civilian education credits and certifications.

Not all military training has such a breakdown. My school was classified. Our syllabus was classified. Our notes, books, tapes and everything else about it was classified. YOu couldn't even study in the barracks. In the classroom study only.

One of my roomates ( we were in 4 man dorms) wrote a paper which was promptly taken away and classified to a point where he wasn't allowed to read it.

Now, I can't get any sort of credit for ANY of what I learned. I gave up years ago.

unless the rules have changed, the answer is yes. Pearl was issuing them as early as 1970. if you survived the training, you got your DM rating and C-Card (and your mae west, and your dual hose reg....

jbd:
Are divers that are trained by the military in the use of sd ndiverscuba given any kind of documents showing that they have been trained to dive? If so can they use these documents to board dive boats etc?

All I know about military dive training is what I saw on a documentory about that followed some seals through dive training.

They dived open ciruit and O2 rebreathers. Much of the training shown was done with double hose regulators, double tanks and no BC of any kind. They spent lots of time being harrassed...having things torn off them and being knocked around, removing and replacing equipment...all while kneeling...no BC remember. Also lots of phisical fitness training.

At the end of the show they showed the graduates on a "mission" and it's a good thing they were in good shape because they were mostly vertical in the water and kicking like crazy all the time just to keep from sinking. By recreational standards they were as bad as I've ever seen. They had BCs here but apparantly weren't taught much about how to use them.

I don't know how representative this training was of other military training but not only would I not certify those divers but I wouldn't take them into OW until we worked on some basics of buoyancy control, trim and finning technique in a pool where they couldn't silt me out. You'd never see any thing if they were with you in OW around here...they could silt things up from 20 ft off the bottom.

They wouldn't even survive a emt shear attack from a savy recreational diver. You could follow their bubble trail down to them in the silt cloud and they'd never see it comming. LOL

Gary D.:
Things have changed but I don’t think that much. We were so deep into the buddy system and buddy skills it almost over rode some of the other training issues we had.

Done ranting.

The question I was answering wasn't about training. From what you're saying Gary, it looks like US military training is pretty much the same, regardless of the branch. That's probably because all military Instructors were initially trained at the Underwater Swimmers School in Key West.

However, when some people get out of the military, that attitude can surface (people are people) and they sometimes think they are more prepared than the next person. For recreational diving, some objectives are different. Other than Some Come Up Barely Alive (SCUBA). Attitude is the primary ingredient to all learning. I take classes to learn and then I can apply what I've been taught. I will pay good money to learn something I'm interested in, but to be given something for very little cost diminishes the value and potentially brings Scuba back to the quasi-professional state it was in 30 years ago.

One of the reasons that the YMCA has such a huge presence is that it is still closely tied to military training. That's not what Joe Public is asking for, or wants.

Buoyancy is a key element (or should be) with any dive course. However, it's not the end all for diving. If memory serves, this thread is in the basic area. Take your DIR philosophy to the proper area. Buoyancy is continually worked on, mastery in all circumstances takes more time than all the people on this board have combined.

sweatfrog:
Gary D.:
Buoyancy is a key element (or should be) with any dive course. However, it's not the end all for diving. If memory serves, this thread is in the basic area. Take your DIR philosophy to the proper area.

I haven't seen DIR mentioned in this thread. However if some one gets too far off topic I'm sure a mod will handle it relieving you of the responsibility.
Buoyancy is continually worked on, mastery in all circumstances takes more time than all the people on this board have combined.

Really? That much time huh?

Back
Top Bottom