Question about military trained divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With all thats been said here, I am still wondering why a military trained diver would need to get a civilian C-card? Are there liability issues for the dive operators if the diver doesn't have civilian card?

jbd:
With all thats been said here, I am still wondering why a military trained diver would need to get a civilian C-card? Are there liability issues for the dive operators if the diver doesn't have civilian card?

I work for a local dive shop, the next time I am in there I can ask, but I would think there could be serious liability issues, especially in today's society.

sweatfrog:
Not at all Jeff, I graduated in 68'. You might remember the Command Master Chief at the time you were at BUD'S. The two of us were in Alaska in April. I'll be out there for the reunion this August. The Captain I was talking about is retiring.

I don't remember his name. The CO of BUD/S was Capt. Larry Baily, and then as I got close to graduation we got a new one, but I can't remember his name either?

I take it your on the West coast, since your going to the reunion in August. I was stationed on the East coast so I always go to the reunion in July at Little Creek.

sweatfrog:
My thoughts exactly.

Opinions are like A-holes, everyones got one. I just haven't articulated mine on this board. You seem to jump in with both feet and now that I've seen how you use the shotgun technique, I understand why people lurk on certain threads, instead of putting their opinion forth.

Shotgun? LOL I had about 40 people jumped me because I trashed a tv show treating me like a traitor or something. I just jugled them and responded the best I could. And while I am blunt it's pretty rare for me to slip and let out a personal insult. Anyway, I don't mind talking with others that are blunt or even a little gruff so there's no hard feelings on this end anyway.

jsbromley:
I don't remember his name. The CO of BUD/S was Capt. Larry Baily, and then as I got close to graduation we got a new one, but I can't remember his name either?

I take it your on the West coast, since your going to the reunion in August. I was stationed on the East coast so I always go to the reunion in July at Little Creek.

Yup, he and I have talked in the past by pm. I'm a left coast guy alright. I've been told that the east coast reunion is much bigger and nicer.

Gary D.:
I have noticed that most of the discussions involving military divers, I am not picking on anyone here, know very little about it. The contacts they have had with various military divers, be it a SEAL, Salvage/Repair, Research, S&R or others have been with either a good one or a poor one.

Whatever the case, just like the civilian world, some military divers will impress you while others will repulse you. Don’t judge the entire group on a few positive or negative contacts.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about the different military dive schools and the differences.

Gary, of course we know very little about military diving. Speaking for myself there was no intent here to judge anything or any one other than what I saw and then only from the standpoint of skill assessment which relates to crossover or the acceptance of credentials.
Personally, If I were to get into trouble in the water and I had my choice between the civilian diver with a Master Card or military diver with the most basic training to save my life, my first choice would have to be the military diver

Gary D..

If I were to get into trouble in the water I would want to be with a diver that I have personal experience with in challenging situations. As time goes on I feel more and more strongly about this.

sharpenu:
Not all military training has such a breakdown. My school was classified. Our syllabus was classified. Our notes, books, tapes and everything else about it was classified. YOu couldn't even study in the barracks. In the classroom study only.

One of my roomates ( we were in 4 man dorms) wrote a paper which was promptly taken away and classified to a point where he wasn't allowed to read it.

Now, I can't get any sort of credit for ANY of what I learned. I gave up years ago.

Secrete squirel bunch were you... :eyebrow:
Sorry about that should have clarified it, a majority of training is declassified and can be used for education and certification in the civilian sector. Then there are some that hold a top secret classification that will not be declassified therefore, cannot be used for such purposes.

captain:
The training shown on TV was called BUD/S (basic underwater demolition/seal) and is intented to weed out people who are not physically able, highly motivated or team players. They receive only very basic scuba training with two hose regulators to prepare them for rebreathers. The training subjects the students to extreme physical and mental stress. The last week of the training is called Hell Week where students are pushed through various exercises around the clock with only 2 or 3 hours sleep a day all the while cold and wet. The average drop out rate is about 90%. Those who graduate go on to advanced diver training at the underwater swimmers school. Most of us on this board could not afford the time and cost to get the training the military gives.

Captain

That is true, but remember the title "basic" means just that. We are taught the basics of special skills only with time and experience and advanced classes do we become experts in that particular field. For instance you cannot be a Jump Master until you have gone through the steps to achieve such status. Meaning 64 static line jumps(I may be wrong on the amount of jumps), proficient in your airborne skills, know the name and nomenclature of all your airborne items to include tinsel strength, then complete a two week course, take and complete a comprehensive test (written), then have to demonstrate (hands on) what you just swallowed in two weeks. If your lucky to pass the first time your awesome. The average graduation is less than 45%.

jsbromley:
I work for a local dive shop, the next time I am in there I can ask, but I would think there could be serious liability issues, especially in today's society.
Thanks. I would like to hear what their take is on this. I am wondering what the liability issues would be. :06:

jbd:
Are divers that are trained by the military in the use of scuba given any kind of documents showing that they have been trained to dive? If so can they use these documents to board dive boats etc?

I only have experience with the "working" side of military diving (ships husbandry, hard hat, salvage, port construction and demolition, etc.)
My last assignment was the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center and I left in 2001.

Currently when students graduate second class school (basic hard hat diver training ) they qualify for ADC (association of Diving Contractors) certification as an entry level tender (tending the diver in the water / equipment set up and prep), and certification as an air diver (basic working diver).

I am also a YMCA SCUBA instructor, YMCA has a program to recognize military dive training and awards an open water certification to graduates of military dive schools, the cost for this certification is $25

Graduates of NDSTC recieve a military diver qualification card, a diploma for the course, and the thier individual training record is updated to include the course duration and whether or not it was successfully completed.

My advice to anyone wanting to assess a divers skill level before begining training is to get in the water with them and make an assessment. I have seen people that were very comfortable in the water picking up skills very quickly with a bisc open water card and I have also seen soup sandwiches that carried three dozen different levels of cards with them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom