Suggestion Q about "banned" words

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Warthaug

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a quick question about banned words here on SCUBAbaord - how exactly does a word get put on "the list". I understand putting profanity and whatnot on the list, but have been surprised by a few of the words which get starred out - certain 1940's-era German political movements for example.

Just curious...

Bryan

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to ask my actual question, is there a way to recommend words be removed from "the list"?

Last edited:
:shocked2:

I see you slipped a few through there, but does your Mom know you talk like that?! :no: :rofl3:

Mom only speaks Chinese, so she hears it in Chinese....:rofl3:

Wait, those aren't censored but ***** is?

You see my point, you just never know what is censored and what is not until you post. :shakehead:

Spoken like a true New Yorker!

Yeah, what of it? :kiss2:

I feel like this is my 8th grade classroom with students testing to see what I will allow them to say. Funny thing is I keep trying to figure out what a few of the words are ...no, not Samantha's, like I said I teach 8th graders.

I find it interesting that WT_ will show up as ***...yet they have this smiley
:w-t-f: : w-t-f :

You see my point, you just never know what is censored and what is not until you post. :shakehead:
The idea is that, ideally, you don't feel the need to use the words we've ******. :)

One thing I do like about Simple Machines Forum is that the words aren't censored until they are going to be displayed. Which means you can choose to turn off the censor (IIRC there is an admin option to allow/disallow turning the censor off).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom