Putting together a middle range gear set for a new diver (me)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hope the holidays have been fun for everyone! I'm looking to put together a mid-range SCUBA set. I just got "Advanced" Open Water certified by PADI to 130ft depth, but have 10 dives under my belt. My family owns a place in the Bahamas that I travel to a ton. I'm looking at putting together this ~$1400 set, as I'll probably be diving here 30-40 times a year depending on how often my job permits me to travel.

Can I get an overall opinion on this gear? From what I've seen the reviews seem to be great, and it seems it'd be good for a few years.

Mares Abyss Navy 22 Scuba Regulator 416158 with reviews at scuba.com - Reg & Octopus combo
Buy Mares dragon airtrim bc 417207 with reviews at scuba.com - BCD
Mares Nemo Matrix Air / Nitrox Wrist Computer Dive Watch 414166 with reviews at scuba.com - Dive Watch
Sherwood 3 Gauge Navcon with Dive Compass CG3150 with reviews at scuba.com - Pressure Gauge/Compass/Depth Meter (playing it safe with redundancies in the compass and depth meter)

Looking forward to some advice here! Seems straight forward and like a good set of gear. Let me know what you think if it isn't too much to ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Though in the past I dove Mares gear (including an Abyss) and still have an MR12 I think you can do better for less money. For instance, I dive Atomic Regs, namely the Z2 which runs $400 plus a $300 for an octo. So for $100 more than the Abyss you have both a primary and backup.

Same comment about the BCD - seems expensive and over kill for warm water diving. I would go for some thing more streamlined. Backplates and wings are my current choice (look at DeepSeaSupply) or if you want a more traditional BCD take a look at Zeagle (Scout).

The computer and gauge set is fine. Though if you are buying a computer the depth gauge is redundant. I would suggest just and SPG and get a compass for your wrist.

No matter what brand you go with do some more looking around. And certainly visit a few local shops and see what kind of a deal you can get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom