Pull Dumps — lose them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externally the k inflators look similar. Aside of also having a serial number the better ones have slightly different components and materials on the inside which make a difference in case you are trying to service them.

After using some continuously for 4 weeks, I was surprised at the amount of corrosion that can take place even with some care. Right after that I changed to titanium inflators for my serious gear.

It probably should just be considered disposable. Replacements are $17 and most people don't have the stuff or skills to service it themselves. One of the benefits of the air2 devices is that since it's a second stage regulator it should be getting serviced regularly. Especially if you've got one of the brands that actually honors the free parts for life program they sell with the inflator (e.g. not scubapro).
Power inflator failures that I have seen were all sand or other debris in the seat. Had nothing to do with age and would happen to a new one if you drag your hose through sand.

I was taught in my OW to pull the inflator dump with my left hand while using my right to disconnect the hose, of course dependent on if you had a hose dump which my training rig did. We also practiced using other dumps on the BC as well as the manual inflate button, but the inflator dump was elegant and easy.

Wow. Your instructor was much more thorough than ours. However, our instructor did emphasize the extreme DANGER of placing my mask on my forehead.

Hardened lubricant, corrosion, salt crystals
Deep Sea Supply has a nifty rinser for the LP air valve of the inflator. That's not the only place salt crystals grow, but it's a good start. Most of my inflators are Zeagles which use a standard tire inflator insert (Schraeder Valve) to allow air in and out. The unscrew easily and they allow you to attach a garden hose to your bladder.

Servicing one is ridiculously easy. There is even a video on you tube if I can find it again.

As for disconnecting a run away inflator underwater, I can’t do it. I don’t have the hand strength. I bought one of those hose hats to make it easier but haven’t tried it yet.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of failures over the years but I've seen this happen only once. Truly, it was my fault as I had replaced the cable with one that was a bit too short. It was easy enough to repair and the BC was still diveable. All my BCs have these and frankly, I like them. Train with your gear. Know your gear. I have seen a few elbows come off of BCs and it's important to dive a balanced rig. Before BCs we had to keep kicking to get to shore or wait for the boat. It was horrible and I applaud the inventor of the BCD.

I like the pull dump for a few reasons. One is for a situation that nearly happened on the last dive of our last trip. My wife's inflator got a bit sticky. Had it stuck on she could have at least used the pull dump to keep from getting a fast ride to the surface while we dealt with the problem, by disconnecting the inflator hose switching to orally inflating the BCD and most likely terminating the dive. In a similar situation with the KISS solution of having a simple elbow it would be a more serious situation.

After we got back from the trip I had a regulator and her BCD ready to go the the shop and I pressed the inflator button...it stuck in the inflate position. When I dropped it off at the shop the owner said he'd never seen that before. Neither had I yet in training we learned what to do in case it happens.

When I dropped it off at the shop the owner said he'd never seen that before.
Rly? I see them yearly. I wonder how long he's been in the industry?

Rly? I see them yearly. I wonder how long he's been in the industry?
A while. He's been diving a couple years longer than me. He started in 1972, I started in 75. Why he said that I won't even hazard a guess.

I started without any sort of BC before graduating to a Fenzy. As the technical editor of a big circulation diving magazine, during a period of two decades, I dived with virtually every new item of diving equipment that came on the market. During that time I experienced some dramatic failures with BCs (usually early versions first off the production line) including dump valves that pulled out, hoses that pulled off, direct-feed inflator failures and even buoyancy cells that split at the surface when fully inflated. Even one BC that had a spring in a dump valve that was too weak to stay closed under the pressure of depth - although it was fine at the surface. I have even walked across the seabed to a nearby island in remote Raja Ampat rather than drop any weights when a corrugated hose end came off. At no time did I ever panic. Divers who are prone to panic should take up a different pastime before they have a fatal panic attack. Just sayin' ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom