Pull Dumps — lose them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind failed?
Normal ones I guess. Whatever came with my diverite wing, and the generic replacement my LDS sold me. They look identical to the ones that Dive Gear Express sells:
41OTPctbQkL.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have the failed units in my dive closet, but I don't recall seeing any manufacturer markings at all.

Actually, my sidemount bcd still has a regular power inflator.

When it comes to maintenance I think power inflators are one of the most often overlooked items. When was the last time yours was cleaned and the o-rings lubed or replaced.

When it comes to maintenance I think power inflators are one of the most often overlooked items. When was the last time yours was cleaned and the o-rings lubed or replaced.
It probably should just be considered disposable. Replacements are $17 and most people don't have the stuff or skills to service it themselves. One of the benefits of the air2 devices is that since it's a second stage regulator it should be getting serviced regularly. Especially if you've got one of the brands that actually honors the free parts for life program they sell with the inflator (e.g. not scubapro).

It probably should just be considered disposable. Replacements are $17 and most people don't have the stuff or skills to service it themselves. One of the benefits of the air2 devices is that since it's a second stage regulator it should be getting serviced regularly. Especially if you've got one of the brands that actually honors the free parts for life program they sell with the inflator (e.g. not scubapro).
The problem with that is that they will probably only get replaced after a problem has developed and not as preventative maintenance.

Mine was on a nearly brand new wing. Maybe 10 dives on it. Halcyon had apparently gotten a bad batch.

The problem with that is that they will probably only get replaced after a problem has developed and not as preventative maintenance.
Yeah.. well, if stuff isn't being maintained then it's irrelevant. I'm surprised we don't hear more in A&I about power inflator problems. Between people pulling them off the bcd, not using them correctly (as with the OP's report) or the things getting stuck it seems like a common enough problem.

I never use mine on a dive, only when setting up my rig to ensure it works and once in while in a pool practice session. It is much more accurate to control buoyancy by releasing small bursts of air with the inflator exhaust when vertical (initial descent or at a safety stop) or butt dumps during the dive when horizontal. I prefer to leave it intact in the event of an emergency.

I never use mine on a dive, only when setting up my rig to ensure it works and once in while in a pool practice session. It is much more accurate to control buoyancy by releasing small bursts of air with the inflator exhaust when vertical (initial descent or at a safety stop) or butt dumps during the dive when horizontal. I prefer to leave it intact in the event of an emergency.
I think it's a matter of practice, I frequently use only the pull dump during ascent. As with any other dump mechanism, it's done with small bursts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom