Pull Dumps — lose them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normal ones I guess. Whatever came with my diverite wing, and the generic replacement my LDS sold me. They look identical to the ones that Dive Gear Express sells:
View attachment 452627

I'm pretty sure I have the failed units in my dive closet, but I don't recall seeing any manufacturer markings at all.

Actually, my sidemount bcd still has a regular power inflator.

When mine failed, it was actually the Scrader valve and not the actuator (which I think jams more commonly than the actual valve failing). It worked flawlessly until it failed open. A new high-quality valve solved it, permanently. I can't recall which wing or BC it was on, but the manufacturer of Schrader valve was "at fault," and not whoever made the BC or wing.

Servicing one is ridiculously easy. There is even a video on you tube if I can find it again.

As for disconnecting a run away inflator underwater, I can’t do it. I don’t have the hand strength. I bought one of those hose hats to make it easier but haven’t tried it yet.

You need to fix that. Really. I know of a fatality that resulted inability to disconnect an inflator. You could also try a dry suit hose; they typically come with integral flanges that are easy to grip.

When mine failed, it was actually the Scrader valve and not the actuator
I believe that only Zeagle uses a Schraeder valve. I use SS ones.

You need to fix that. Really. I know of a fatality that resulted inability to disconnect an inflator. You could also try a dry suit hose; they typically come with integral flanges that are easy to grip.
Trust me. I have given this a lot of thought over the years. No way to fix my grip. That just gets worse with age. The hose hat is suppose to provide the same grip as the flanged hose.

As for disconnecting a run away inflator underwater, I can’t do it. I don’t have the hand strength. I bought one of those hose hats to make it easier but haven’t tried it yet.

That's an issue I see regularly in class. It's a significant problem, and I emphasize to those students that are challenged by it to shop carefully for their LPI hose. There is such a wide variety of release sleeves that some are ridiculously easy, while others are almost impossible to move, especially with gloves on. I hate to give Scubapro any credit these days, but I have to admit, their big-sleeve inflator connection makes it a snap for just about anyone. Of course, that requires one of their connections, which means either an Air 2, or an Atomic fitting. I've seen pictures of the hose hats, and that may be a great aftermarket solution assuming that it fits your current LPI sleeve. I've never used one, though.
Whatever hose fitting you end up with, a regular dunk in 50% vinegar followed by some Christolube is a must. I do it after every dive trip because the usual hang up is that the little balls won't retract to allow the sleeve to release the fitting.

Trust me. I have given this a lot of thought over the years. No way to fix my grip. That just gets worse with age. The hose hat is suppose to provide the same grip as the flanged hose.

My 2 PSI: If you can't find a combination that works, learn to inflate it by mouth. It's not hard (it's how I learned, actually), and if you can't disconnect it underwater you have a potential severe problem from a rapid ascent or, if you do decompression dives, a missed decompression obligation on top of that.

Alternatively, think outside the box. For example, have someone make you a flange with opposite points of attachment for a cord and put a ball on the cord (like a butt dump ball) or a large-ish ring that you can grip with less effort, or put between your fingers (which does not really require grip strength) to release the inflator.

If you lived closer, I'd be happy to help more directly. (I made Delrin flanges for several friends that they can use in heavy gloves, just for this reason.)

(Edit: Correct spelling "correction.)

I believe that only Zeagle uses a Schraeder valve. I use SS ones.
I’ve never serviced a Zeagle that I know of, but I’ve changed out a lot of schraeder valves....

You could just disconnect the inflator hose.

I was once buddied with a guy who didn't have his Inflator hose connected. Obviously, I pointed this out during our buddy check. His response was that its deliberate. He said he was properly weighted, and at depth he would need at most 2 breaths to orally inflate his BCD to be neutral.

He had once had a power inflator malfunction and he wasn't ever going there again!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom