Pull Dumps — lose them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys and I admit I have probably gotten too complacent with this issue. Thanks for waking me up. I promise to try the hat on my next trip in 3 weeks and will report back.

Low pressure cut off valve. Additional complexity, but it's not technical diving.
That won't help @uncfnp . Sliding the sleeve on one of those valves under pressure is just as hard as popping off the connection with the LPI sleeve.
Unless you have a valve style with a twist on/off. But for most of us, It's just added complexity when most of us can just pop off the inflator hose. Interesting thought though.

As long as we're on the subject of novel (Read: expensive) solutions to the problem, this might be the one time it's worth spending $200 on Atomic Aquatics' titanium inflator fitting. The engineering is superb and with zero corrosion, the chances of a runaway inflator is significantly reduced, IMO.

Last edited:
That won't help @uncfnp . Sliding the sleeve on one of those valves under pressure is just as hard as popping off the connection with the sleeve.
Unless you have a valve style with a twist on/off. But for most of us, It's just added complexity when most of us can just pop off the inflator hose. Interesting thought though.

As long as we're on the subject of novel (Read: expensive) solutions to the problem, this might be the one time it's worth spending $200 on Atomic Aquatics titanium inflator fitting. The engineering is superb and with zero corrosion, the chances of a runaway inflator is significantly reduced, IMO.

Also, the cutoff valve is generally available for a second stage 9/16" connection. I'm not aware of a cutoff valve being available for the low pressure inflator hose, unless adaptors are used on a second stage hose.

But I would disagree on difficulty. The cutoff valve is easier to use. With the LPI connector under pressure you have to grab, push down hard and also disconnect at the same time.

The cutoff valve is a simple slide motion, some force needed, but not as complex.

I always assumed I could just hold up the inflator and vent the wing as it was inflated similar to AdivingBel’s use of the pull dump. Would this not work? Or last resort, cut the hose? Obvously it would require immediate ascent with rapid ooa.

Last edited:
I always assumed I could just hold up the inflator and vent the wing as it was inflated similar to AdivingBel’s use of the pull dump. Would this not work? Or last resort, cut the hose?

Or simply not connect it during your dive … you actually only really need it on the surface if you are properly weighted.

I always assumed I could just hold up the inflator and vent the wing as it was inflated similar to AdivingBel’s use of the pull dump. Would this not work? Or last resort, cut the hose? Obvously it would require immediate ascent or rapid ooa.

I indeed teach my students to sit on the exhaust valve while they're working on disconnecting the low-pressure inflator hose during our drills. It decreases the amount of inflation, but generally the bladder will begin to accumulate some air. It will slow your ascent but not arrest it. After reading through this thread, I can't bring myself to teach using the pull dump in lieu of the exhaust valve. How many example do we have in just this thread of a torn hose, pulled off Air2 or assembly ripped off the BCD? Yeah, I'll explain the function and demo it, but it's hands off that particular apparatus from now on. Years ago, I used to use it for a "cool" descent, so I didn't look like a newbie raising my hose in the air. Just stupid. I didn't know what I didn't know. But I love the Board.

As for cutting the hose, you will be out of air in 90 seconds...ah! You just said that. :)

Last edited:
After having experienced a stuck inflator I have thought about this issue numerous times (while sitting in my comfortable chair). In an event where you are unable to disconnect the inflator hose, I am willing to bet by wrapping both hands around the corrugated hose (only the corrugated hose mind you) anyone could overcome those zip ties and rip the corrugated hose free from the elbow in a New York minute. Obviously a LAST RESORT OPTION, but an effective one. I would rather contend with a disabled wing than skyrocket to the surface.

***To put this crazy scenario into proper context here are my earlier posts***

The fact this incident involved an instructor is very troubling. Assuming he was diving a single tank and was unable to keep his head above water is even more troubling. If you can’t swim a single tank up to the surface and stay up for any length of time without an inflated BCD you are probably carrying too much weight.

To address a stuck inflator just disconnect the inflator hose and manually inflate at the surface or underwater if necessary. I had a stuck inflator issue arise moments away from the cattle boat captain dropping us on a wreck in strong current, so I simply disconnected the inflator hose and did my dive. I was not about to miss or cut my dive short due to such a problem.

Last edited:
I indeed teach my students to sit on the exhaust valve while they're working on disconnecting the low-pressure inflator hose during our drills. It decreases the amount of inflation, but generally the bladder will begin to accumulate some air. It will slow your ascent but not arrest it.

As for cutting the hose, you will be out of air in 90 seconds.
And that is assuming I am not near the end of a dive. By the time I grabbed the knife and sawed through the hose I’d probably already be at the surface anyway. So scratch that idea.

And that is assuming I am not near the end of a dive. By the time I grabbed the knife and sawed through the hose I’d probably already be at the surface anyway. So scratch that idea.

Maybe give that $200 Atomic titanium inflator fitting a thought. I know it's a lot of money. But if the alternative is diving with a disconnected hose and oral inflation only , this would be one good way to reduce the chances of inflator valve malfunction , IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom