Pull Dumps — lose them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking a step back here looking @oldschoolto's point, what is a more common failure, stuck inflator or inadvertent shoulder dumping?

My money is on the stuck inflator, which has likely actually killed divers. It seems a shoulder dump is an excellent solution for a relatively common scuba problem.

True, this is a very good point. Here is an alternative (not to be argumentative). You could just disconnect the inflator hose. A bit of a PITA because it requires both hands (for me anyway). You can manually inflate at the surface or underwater if necessary. I had a stuck inflator issue arise moments away from the cattle boat captain dropping us on a wreck in strong current, so I simply disconnected the inflator hose and did my dive. I was not about to miss or cut my dive short due to such a problem.

Last edited:
It depends. I have owned wings made by HOG, Apex, Hollis, and DRIS--none of them had pull dumps.

My first wing was a DRIS one. Current is a Halcyon. Neither have them.

True, this is a very good point. Here is an alternative (not to be argumentative). You could just disconnect the inflator hose. A bit of a PITA because it requires both hands (for me anyway). You can manually inflate at the surface or underwater if necessary. I had a stuck inflator issue arise moments away from the cattle boat captain dropping us on a wreck in strong current, so I simply disconnected the inflator hose and did my dive. I was not about to miss or cut my dive short due to such a problem.

Another good point.

You could just disconnect the inflator hose.

You're right, that is the ultimate solution, but like you said it can be a non-trivial thing to do especially as a stuck inflator ascent could happen quickly. I was taught in my OW to pull the inflator dump with my left hand while using my right to disconnect the hose, of course dependent on if you had a hose dump which my training rig did. We also practiced using other dumps on the BC as well as the manual inflate button, but the inflator dump was elegant and easy. :)

Honestly, it's the only use I have for one. Never use it while diving, but I do exercise it along with my other dumps when I do the Zeagle water dance after dive trips. I'll show you in GC. :D

Last edited:

Disconnecting the inflator is a given, where I see the utility is quickly getting control of the runaway ascent. While we all believe we would fix the issue in an instant, there's no telling what other circumstances a diver may be dealing with at that moment. Hell, thick gloves could add too much time to correcting the failure.

Disconnecting the inflator is a given, where I see the utility is quickly getting control of the runaway ascent. While we all believe we would fix the issue in an instant, there's no telling what other circumstances a diver may be dealing with at that moment. Hell, thick gloves could add too much time to correcting the failure.

“Obviously” I am stating the obvious… Agreed, identifying an issue, having the wherewithal to respond to it and being in a position to do so are paramount. I find all these problems to be sooo much easier to resolve while sitting in a comfortable chair! Cheers.

Panic-prone dive professionals happen. And we read about them in the accidents section where a student counting on them died and we say that dive professional had no business being a dive professional. I very much hope OP took some action with this individual.

I've only been diving five years and I've had two different power inflators get stuck open. Luckily, they were both on shakedown dives in my pool prior to a weekend dive trip. Since I switched to an air2, I haven't had a recurrence. I think it's been 2 years or maybe 3.

I've only been diving five years and I've had two different power inflators get stuck open. Luckily, they were both on shakedown dives in my pool prior to a weekend dive trip. Since I switched to an air2, I haven't had a recurrence. I think it's been 2 years or maybe 3.

What kind failed?

I had a Halcyon power inflator get stuck on me last winter. Thankfully it was just in the pool. When I took it to the shop to get fixed, turned out Halcyon knew there was a problem and replaced it at no cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom