Pulau Weh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's great to read the various experiences.

We probably won't go there for a variety of reasons, but one thing I have always debated in my mind is the pros and cons of tourism in such a place. There's pros and cons of tourism everywhere of course, but in PW I can see the validity of the argument that if such a place is boycotted, it may be a motivation towards change, or at least one may decide that he or she just doesn't want to be around such a culture.

OTOH, it may be a motivation for change if Western tourists are present to bring income to the area, present ourselves as reasonable people, and not least to report out how things are.

Again, I really value that people are reporting their facts and experiences.

- Bill

Pulau Weh, or Aceh, doesn't need to change. It's a beautiful part of the world and they have a good culture and great people already. If you don't fancy going there, then don't don't go. But to suggest 'boycotting' an area to force change is ridiculous. The best way to 'present yourself as a reasonable person' is to go and to respect their culture - not to go with the idea that western culture is better and they should change.

I'm pretty sure "reporting things out" is not what the Imams want. Aceh is an interesting case study in many ways. As far as the stuff of urban legend other than being spat at seems I'm not an isolated case. I guess a lot depends on how you look as a tourist and when the human rights watchdog is keeping an eye on things. Hopefully these days things have settled down a little.

The heavy hand of religious police in Aceh

Indonesia's Aceh province enacts Islamic sharia criminal code

https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/indonesia1210WebVersionToPost.pdf

Moral bylaws thrive, get in the way of tourism in Aceh

If you don't fancy going there, then don't don't go. But to suggest 'boycotting' an area to force change is ridiculous.

There is some evidence that suggest economic stress could enact change. And for what it is worth I am not suggesting a boycott, I just ain't taking my money there. To suggest that just because I do not see children, LGBTs, and...hell anyone...being beaten and ridiculed on stage in public does not get in the way of my diving all is ok... We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Evidence: Aceh moves to make syariah canings private

Last edited:
Culture is a tough topic. In Indonesia, up to the early 20th century, bare breasted women with a sarong draped around their waist may not have raised eyebrows.

A gentle reminder, Singapore still conducts canning for some offenses.
For sexual or religious orientations?
I am sure the scientist in you knows the difference between comparisons and similarities...
It's not because Japan and Saudi Arabia both apply death penalty that the level of freedom or human rights are similar in both countries, neither are you similarly welcome.

As a frenchman I am quite uncomfortable with this kind of comparison that confuses so called "culture" and human rights.
As I have already been in Weh and Aceh, I am pretty sure I won't be back, I have so much respect in "culture" I won't bother people who apparently cannot welcome that much tourists (that also goes for some parts of Lombok btw).
As a longtime SEA diver (unlike Kyle who's giving us his rookie impressions, comparing it to Caribbean diving) I can state there are lots of eastern areas in Indonesia more interesting for diving than Weh.
As a mortal human being I would state that life is too short to spend time in Weh.

For sexual or religious orientations?
I am sure the scientist in you knows the difference between comparisons and similarities...
It's not because Japan and Saudi Arabia both apply death penalty that the level of freedom or human rights are similar in both countries, neither are you similarly welcome.

For sure, canning in Singapore are for serious offenses and are never for sexual or religious orientations. Interestingly, canning was introduced by the British.

For sure, canning in Singapore are for serious offenses and are never for sexual or religious orientations. Interestingly, canning was introduced by the British.

There was a case of American kid was canning in Singapore after doing a graffiti of a public place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom