Pulau Weh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheap, deep drift dives, lots of green corals and anthias, not as diverse as eastern parts of Indonesia.
Be conscious it's the most religious part of Indonesia, where charia law is applied, so diving may be impossible on some days, as even as walking on the beach.
Went during ramadan, you had to hide to drink water in between dives... will never go back again.

Thanks for that, was the diving comparable to Komodo / RA ?

No...I wouldn't rank Weh as comparable with RA or Komodo. Totally agree with Luke re the Shariah law and hassles that can come with it as Aceh is the most hardline province. As a single female diver with tattoos and loud hair I felt distinctly uneasy getting in and out of Aceh. I got the distinct feeling Aceh wanted me out too.

Have you thought about the Solomons? I've got a friend there at the moment sending good reports. Uepi rocks :)

Where next becomes a problem after a while doesn't it?

Thanks for your input wifey !It sure is a problem, a nice one to have though. Solomons seems much more expensive than R4 for comparable diving, many saying it's not as good. I really loved R4 so think I will head back there, just trying to cover all my bases ! Am even thinking of doing my DM somewhere if I can, seeing as i'm back on the supply teacher merry go round, I could take a few months off !!

Indo would be the place to do DM - I did a Banda Sea LOB last year out of Ambon and there is diving you'd love (haha never met but ..that dive connection!) around Lease islands and Manuk if you can find a boat. Hmm...there's another thought - Gorontalo - Luke would know about times of the year but seeing you're relief teaching I'd suggest you resign immediately and go do DM :D

Best

Scuba Wifey

Thanks for your input wifey !It sure is a problem, a nice one to have though. Solomons seems much more expensive than R4 for comparable diving, many saying it's not as good. I really loved R4 so think I will head back there, just trying to cover all my bases ! Am even thinking of doing my DM somewhere if I can, seeing as i'm back on the supply teacher merry go round, I could take a few months off !!
Just got back from Solomon's and PNG... Definitely enjoyed PNG more than Solomon's even though PNG was experiencing a huge amount of bleaching. There was a sampling of Indo divers there and we all agreed that Indo is better than Solomon's hands down. I didn't think it was comparable to RA at all, but maybe we hit it at an off time. It did have some beautiful hard coral dives and iconic cracks, but I missed the big schools of fish that we saw in PNG and we see in Banda and RA.

Thanks for the input everyone. RA really is awesome, I was there two years ago and did 28 dives in the dampier straits, loved it. I really think i will return there, just a shame i can't do my DM training there !!!
When you say Banda, do you mean the Banda Islands or the Banda Sea ?

The Banda Sea is really amazing... I have done a couple crossings from Alor, and an Ambon - Sorong LOB. Have never been disappointed. Paired with Misool/RA and it becomes almost unbeatable. The history of the Banda Islands is pretty interesting as well. Banda Neira is worth an island visit if given the opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom