Pulau Weh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to Blue Venture for posting it in YouTube. I thought it gives some good impressions of what it's like to dive there. Personally, I rather dive in Komodo or Raja Ampat than in Pulau Weh.

As long as the politics are as they are in that region of Indonesia, I will not leave any of my money there. There was an incident a few years ago that sealed the deal for me. More recently, officials may have decided to move their sick public beatings back behind closed doors as it seems beating women and minority citizens for the enjoyment of others is bad for tourism and investment. Maybe financial pressure and bad publicity are starting to produce results. Let's hope so and until then everyone will consider vacationing elsewhere.

TBH Matt I don't think they care about the tourist view really, behind close doors doesn't seem to me to fit with the 'philosophy' there. My scarf slipped off my shoulders walking into the airport to go home and three women turned and spat at my feet. The polisi guarding the doors gave them a nod of approval. During the week I was on Weh the morality police had gone on a sweep handing out several canings to young women found partying in underground discos. The girls like the guys found there had their heads shaved and any piercings were removed...with pliers.

I've always wondered if those women spat at me out of hate or fear.

TBH Matt I don't think they care about the tourist view really, behind close doors doesn't seem to me to fit with the 'philosophy' there....

I hear ya. The pressure to take the public out of the canings came from Jakarta...so at least somebody is paying attention that current thinking in Aceh is a liability to the RI.

I am a big fan of Weh. Maybe it's not the best diving in Indo, but it is still good diving. As for the politics, I have never seen or heard of any major problems there, and I worked three seasons there. Respect the local traditions (especially when in Banda Aceh), and the island is very laid back. There is no diving on Friday mornings, but it's a great little place. It's a good spot for a DM course too - some very strong currents on some sites, sometimes. Good number of courses to assist on, and a great place to learn to guide... Check out Lumba Lumba Dive Centre...

Healthy reefs, deserted dive sites (October 2016), and a very chill, beautiful island. I might be a bit biased as it was the first place I did any real diving, and where I fell in love with diving, but I thought it was excellent. Not Komodo or RA surely but if you're looking for somewhere new, you could do worse. We stayed at Freddie's away from the main beach area; very quiet, good food, beer(!) and got picked up by Rubiah Tirta everyday for a 45 min ride to their shop.

As for Sharia and the politics? I didn't notice anything besides lack of rowdy drunken backpackers. But we were 3 men, it may be very different for women, as Wingy says above. It's certainly worth questioning whether we should spend money in areas with atrocious human rights records but then would you also avoid Thailand, Philippines, Burma, Egypt?

A few colleagues of mine opened a new dive resort at Pulau Weh. They have an agreement with the town leaders to end dynamite fishing, since tourism will bring in more money than illegal fishing.

With respect to Sharia law - I've working in Aceh province for many years with female graduate students from the USA. While in the field, my students wear Nike sleeveless shirts and leggings, since it so hot and humid in the salt marches and coastal areas. We have never had any issues with the locals or polisi. Since 2005, we have only experienced goodwill and support. Obviously, everyone has their own experiences and opinions.

Hey guys,

I just returned form a dive trip to Pulau Weh so I can comment on the latest happenings there. In short....nothing!!! The Muslim laws that people are so fearful of hardly impacted us at all. As other have said, be respectful and there are no worries. Some of the things to be aware of: Don't be a drunken lout. You won't be arrested just looked at as an a$$hole. Men wear a shirt when walking past the mosque. Women do the same.

Again, we spoke with alot of people locals and tourists and no one has ever heard or been a part of anything that would be considered scary. In fact you are as safe as any place in the world in PW. As far as hassles by the morality police, they seem to be more stuff of urban legend than facts. Not saying issues are not there, but from my time there, they seem greatly hyped.

There are no Muslim laws that restrict diving on Friday mornings. That is a local custom. We did 2 dives on a Friday. One was an afternoon dive, the other was a night dive.

Pulau Weh and Ache were clean, safe and the people welcoming and fun.

The diving was VERY good!!!! The closest reference point would be Turneffe in Belize. PW is better and the price to stay and dive there are dirt cheap. Ibiho Dive Center was awesome. Terrific English speaking DM's, well maintained boats, quality and well maintained rental gear. As good as any shop I have seen in the world.

Bungalows on the water for $20/night. 3 meals a day for $10 per person. Dives with a PADI quality dive shop with great and safe rental gear under $20 per dive. There are about 25 named dive site in PW and all of them are less than 10 minutes from the shop.

Like drift diving and currents?? PW can be for you. There are dive sites there that male Cozumel look like you are diving in a swimming pool!! The reefs are healthy and there is plenty of critters to see including sharks, rays, octopus on every dive (in the day).

You can get a 2 hour flight from Kuala Lumpour to Bande Ache. There are 4 ferry rides a day to Pulau Weh. They cost from $2 for the slow ferry to $6 for the fast ferry.

It's great to read the various experiences.

We probably won't go there for a variety of reasons, but one thing I have always debated in my mind is the pros and cons of tourism in such a place. There's pros and cons of tourism everywhere of course, but in PW I can see the validity of the argument that if such a place is boycotted, it may be a motivation towards change, or at least one may decide that he or she just doesn't want to be around such a culture.

OTOH, it may be a motivation for change if Western tourists are present to bring income to the area, present ourselves as reasonable people, and not least to report out how things are.

Again, I really value that people are reporting their facts and experiences.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom