Pulau Weh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have been to Pulau Weh several times now. Although it is true that Aceh has the Shariah Law, you won't find any of that on PW. The atmosphere is laid back and people are very friendly.
Have been there both in February and September: February the water is clearer but not so many of the big boys, September, just before the Monsoon Season the water tends to be a bit on the murky side with at times strong currents but you really have bigger fish.
We stay in Iboih's Fina Bungalows (simple clean rooms with air con and en suite) and dive with Iboih Dive Centre just below Fina.

I was there in November last year. One morning we were simply told that we were not allowed to dive until 2pm. The reason was that a villager had died the previous night and diving was not allowed until after the funeral. I don’t think that this was Shariah law, but am quite certain that it was some form of religious edict.

Maybe it was a Friday? Friday's diving is after 2 pm. In all the time I have been there, we never stopped diving when someone died. But perhaps nobody ever died when we were there? :)
We will keep going back because Iboih Dive Centre have become good friends.The village of Iboih has a very laid back atmosphere. Even the women wear short dresses, smoke and no head scarf (unless they are going into town).

Another reason to stay away from Weh, beside meh diving from all of the YouTube videos I have seen there. Lots of rocks, few hard corals and the usual suspects of fish, turtles & critters, some volcanic bubbles, nothing special.

Last edited:
By the way, the no diving till 2 pm on a Friday is another curious religious edict. I am quite certain that the Koran does not say anything about scuba diving, but on PW, you can't even do a shore dive with your buddy on a Friday Morning even though it does not involve a local muslim.

hi,
planning a trip with family ( wife 2 small kids) from 22nd march for a week. what kind of diving to expect. came across peoples views here on sharia law etc.
what kind of atmosphere to expect when not diving. our dive school has informed about the Friday no dive rule.
keen to know about the diving conditions and the dive sites.

any inputs ? has any body dived in pulau weh recently please. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom