Puking after deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar:
It happened again this weekend... for the 3 times I have been on a deep dive (110+) when I get to the surface I end up spilling my guts.

When at depth I have no abnormal feelings or conditions, unaware of being narced as I don't feel as if I am drunk or anything out of the normal. Coming up to say 60-70 feet still no issues, and nothing till I get to about 10 feet or less. And YES, there is always a safety stop done and NO there has been no decompression required.

Could this be a residual nitrogen narcoses or could it be that I am seasick?? I am never sick when I have ever dove except for those 3 times of the deep dives.

My husband gets sick (never atually throws up) but is green if he does his safety stop holding onto something if seas are rough. If it's rough, he hangs beside me off the line (unless conditions are such that ha HAS to hang onto the line). When you do your safety stop are you holding on to the mooring line or anchor line?

Web Monkey, I really don't feel like this has anything to do with DCS as there really is no other symptoms that would normally be associated with DCS.

I think DREW may in fact have the correct answer as I may be swallowing air rather then breathing it at depth. I am going to keep a close watch on it the next time I go down that deep. THANKS!!

Just as a note... all of these dives have been from the beach and not a boat.

river_sand_bar:
Web Monkey, I really don't feel like this has anything to do with DCS as there really is no other symptoms that would normally be associated with DCS.

I think DREW may in fact have the correct answer as I may be swallowing air rather then breathing it at depth. I am going to keep a close watch on it the next time I go down that deep. THANKS!!

Just as a note... all of these dives have been from the beach and not a boat.

It was just a thought.

A free phone call is usually better than a guess.

Terry

Sounds like CO2 retention. Increased work of breathing at depth, may also be narcosis further increasing that effort. Leads to CO2 retention. That quite often manifests when the pressure is reduced to nausea and/or a blinding headache.

It isn't "residual narcosis" - there's no such thing.

Another possibility is alternobaric vertigo. Usually occurs on ascent. More widespread than realized, but little recognized. On ascent, if the pressure releases from your middle ears unequally, it can cause nausea. Often causes dizziness too, or instead.
Prevention is usually just consciously equalizing on ascent. Often passive techniques are best (yawn, jaw thrust/wiggle, etc.)

I would wonder if your problem is seasickness once you hit the rougher water in last few feet of ascent. I have gotten sick once I've broke the surface a few times.... then again, I'm highly prone to feeding the fish!

If its CO2 retention, then how can that be reduced or minimized? There was no indication of too rapid accent and safety stop completed with no issues.

As for the vertigo, not sure if that could be it because I don't really have any issues when a dive is 80 feet.

CO2 retention can be reduced by a few things.

Firstly making sure you have a decent regulator thats properly serviced. A poor reg and/or needing adjustment can make work of breathing high.

Secondly breathing pattern can affect it especially if its a working dive. Something to concentrate on and adjust.

Narcosis cant really do much about however.

Could use trimix which would reduce it and the rate of breathing but unless you're a lottery winner its not worth it for that sort of depth.

Just make sure the kit is ok, not working too hard and breathing pattern is normal, not skip breathing, holding breath for too long and so on.

The symptoms you describe are almost exactly what ive seen due to the above.

Oh, it wont be the sea sickness reason given above or you'd get it on a dive to any depth on the stop if it was rough not just deep.

That actually brings up a GREAT point.. I have a new reg with an adjustment on it. Maybe as I get to the deeper depth, I should use the micro adjust to open the reg up more. I did notice that at depth the reg makes that funny sound as if its harder to breath. So this may very well be a combination of the reg being harder to breath and thus causing me to swallow air and also have CO2 retention.

Does that make sense??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom