Puking after deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It happened again this weekend... for the 3 times I have been on a deep dive (110+) when I get to the surface I end up spilling my guts.

When at depth I have no abnormal feelings or conditions, unaware of being narced as I don't feel as if I am drunk or anything out of the normal. Coming up to say 60-70 feet still no issues, and nothing till I get to about 10 feet or less. And YES, there is always a safety stop done and NO there has been no decompression required.

Could this be a residual nitrogen narcoses or could it be that I am seasick?? I am never sick when I have ever dove except for those 3 times of the deep dives.

When you get to depth do you find yourself tightening your gear due to suit compression?

Yes, I do... a little, but not too different as if I was at a dive of say 70 ft. I will usually tighten everything up when I get to about 40-50 feet and stay that way the rest of the dive.

What was the wave action like on those dives? Any possibility of it being motion sickness? I've had that happen to me--most of us don't really want to get out of the water when the dive is up, but on a couple of occasions it has actually made me sick to be within 8 or so feet of the surface when returning to the boat. Seas were 3-5 ft at the time and passing through the undulating surface action caused me to puke almost the instant I got back on deck.

diverdiver8, yes, as a matter of fact I do have a issue with acid reflux. How is that connected to the deep dives?

The reason I ask or wonder is because I did the deep dive on Saturday (110+ puking) and then another dive on Sunday afternoon with the son to 80 feet and no issues.

river_sand_bar:
It happened again this weekend... for the 3 times I have been on a deep dive (110+) when I get to the surface I end up spilling my guts.

When at depth I have no abnormal feelings or conditions, unaware of being narced as I don't feel as if I am drunk or anything out of the normal. Coming up to say 60-70 feet still no issues, and nothing till I get to about 10 feet or less. And YES, there is always a safety stop done and NO there has been no decompression required.

Could this be a residual nitrogen narcoses or could it be that I am seasick?? I am never sick when I have ever dove except for those 3 times of the deep dives.
You should check with DAN, since nausea can be a symptom of DCS.

Although you indicate that your dive profile was within the no-decompression limits, the NDLs are variable on a per-person and per-dive basis and are not set in stone. The table data is just a number that is likely to be OK for most divers on most dives, but isn't a guarantee.

Terry

I think this has to do with weightlessness in the water and then the rocking when you get back in the boat. I've noticed that I want to puke when I climb back into a boat, but not when I make a beach dive.

river_sand_bar:
diverdiver8, yes, as a matter of fact I do have a issue with acid reflux. How is that connected to the deep dives?

The reason I ask or wonder is because I did the deep dive on Saturday (110+ puking) and then another dive on Sunday afternoon with the son to 80 feet and no issues.

I'm not 100% sure...but it seems the deeper I go, the worse mine became, often causing me to start to hack and cough and often throw up. Maybe we can get a MOD to move this to the Medical section. There may be a connection.

Hi river_sand_bar:

Based on your profile (<100 dives), I'd probably say you are "swallowing air." I say this because your symptoms only happen on deeper dives and only when you get to the surface.

Do you often feel the need to "burp" at then end of a deep dive, followed by the vomitting? If this is the case, you may be "swallowing air" when breathing. This usually happens to people who almost ALWAYS breath through their noses (even when sleeping) and then have to get used to mouth breathing when diving. The ususal cause is breathing to quickly and "sharply" at depth causing some of the air to enter the stomach. The air expands on the way up, causes pressure on the interior gut and POW, you're feeding the fish.

Try slowing down and relaxing, if possible. Prior to descending, pause at the anchor line or back of the boat, slow your breathing then descend. Do this again at the bottom if you become exerted.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom