PST E-8 119 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the air thing.. I pay the same amount for a fill on a 130 as I would on a 100 or even an 80. I've seen shops charge more for HP vs LP, but not for differing tanks of equal service pressure... so that's a moot point.

same here, a fill is cost dependent on what you put in it, not what size it is,130 be the same as 80, if it's the same mix.air or nitrox

Not where I live. A lot of shops will charge up to $16. for a 130 - 32% fill vs. $9.00 for a 100.

wow, how much does a 36% cost?

with a fill card i pay $6 a fill for any mix up to 40%, any size tank, which for me is my 100's

mossym:
same here, a fill is cost dependent on what you put in it, not what size it is,130 be the same as 80, if it's the same mix.air or nitrox

This depends on the store. Some stores charge for gas mixes by the cubic foot. That is especially nice when you are filling a partially full tank, such as a deco bottle with EAN50.

jonnythan:
Reading Triton's other posts, I somehow doubt if he has tank envy.

Thank you Jonnythan! My extra bedroom is packed with scuba tanks! :)

That has given rise to my own thinking about what is best, when it comes to tanks. This is what I get for a diver with an SCR-RMV of 0.75 working / 0.50 resting:

2 sets of double 130s
2 sets of double 72s
3 single 72s
6 deco bottles
2 argon bottles

If your SCR-RMV is higher, then bigger tanks would be warranted.

If your SCR-RMV is lower, then smaller tanks would be warranted.

Its really a calculation, and not some pie-in-the-sky or Triton-is-always-right issue.

I have done the 120 cu ft tank up and down the beach thing. At some point you start to ask yourself, why am I doing this? :)

Single 72s are pretty crappy as a single tank. Not nearly enough gas, especially with a 0.75 RMV.

All about the E7-100s.

jonnythan:
... If I were specifically buying singles tanks, there's no question I would have gone with E7-100s. The 100s still give you enough gas for all but the longest dives, and they are significantly more comfortable in and out of the water as well as much easier to handle on land.

Yes, that would normally give 30 cu ft of extra reserve for every dive, for a medium build male diver. Basically you would be diving with the Rule of Thirds on every dive, which is actually a good thing, especially for dives in the 75 to 100 ft range, where if things go wrong (entanglement or buddy gear failure) you want a larger reserve.

Of course, if you are larger person, the 100s might be your minimum option. My definition of larger would be 6ft plus and not built like a rail.

jonnythan:
Single 72s are pretty crappy as a single tank. Not nearly enough gas, especially with a 0.75 RMV.

All about the E7-100s.

I get more than enough time out of mine at 50 fsw, my favorite depth. But I certainly cannot do Rule of Thirds with them. And they are so, so nice when walking up and down a long beach! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom