PST E-8 119 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol3:

Waaaaaaaay too funny !!!!

Lil' Irish Temper:
Randy,

What a guy, trying to help me out like that! I wouldn't want to stick you with that tank. I've decided to let Kyle shoot it. :D

This made my day. I got a good laugh out of it.

Thanks!!

R.

triton94949:
You are going to find that diving with a single 120 cu ft tank is a burden for virtually all single tank applications. Hauling it onto and off of a boat?? Wearing it as you trudge up and down a beach??

At 100 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 30 to 40 minutes. That is way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

At 50 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 90 to 100 minutes. That is also way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

Therefore anytime you dive 50 ft or deeper, you will be wearing a tank much larger and heavier than it needs to be, and you are going to be coming back with much more air/nitrox than you ever dreamed.

These tanks are made for twin tank diving, not as singles.
You're really the life of the party! I'll bet that's just what he wanted to hear.

Daryl Morse:
You're really the life of the party! I'll bet that's just what he wanted to hear.

Well I am not going to lie to him.

His 120 is great when paired with another for doubles. 130s are even better, if you can deal with the weight out of the water.

Otherwise these are really not ideal tanks for single tank diving. Been there done that.

"Otherwise these are really not ideal tanks for single tank diving. Been there done that."

Depends upon the individual's dive profile.
All divers and all dives aren't the same.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

triton94949:

His 120 is great when paired with another for doubles. 130s are even better, if you can deal with the weight out of the water.

Otherwise these are really not ideal tanks for single tank diving. Been there done that.

My experiences are different than yours.

I dive E8-119's as singles and doubles. To be honest, it took me longer to work out the trim issues as doubles than as singles. They trim out beautifully in a singles configuration, and for multilevel dives where you want to go deep, take your time coming up shallow, and spend a lot of time at 40 fsw and shallower, this cylinder is an excellent choice. NDL's do not come into play in that type of dive profile, and I have gotten as much as 93 minutes out of a single cylinder.

Last night's dive was 64 minutes to a max depth of 105 fsw, and an average depth of 52 fsw. I started with 3,400 psi and ended with 1,000. My buddy, who was also using an E8-119 single configuration started with 3,600 psi and ended with 700.

Weight isn't an issue ... we regularly hike up a steep bank with these cylinders. Heck, I even manage it with my E8-119 doubles, and I'm an old, fat dude.

I don't doubt your word that these are concerns for your diving ... but I don't think the majority of divers would (or should) be too concerned about the weight of these cylinders.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

triton94949:

I dive nothing but 119's. Here in FL I generally get a fill in the 3600-3700psi range and have never been concerned.

119's are the perfect size for me.

Oh, yeah, I hump them around all over the place, ask NWGD. Plus on top of that my right knee has nee replaced with a chuck of metal. Last time I dove Blue Springs park here (well, everytime, really) it is a 1/4 mile +- to ge to the entry point....

If you don't wanna dive 119's as singles, that's fine. But to each their own. Don't really care where your negativity comes from, but you are definetely in the minority on this thread.

Yup, gotta be tank envy!

Reading Triton's other posts, I somehow doubt if he has tank envy.

Still, I'm forced to agree with him to some degree.. the big E8's are not the ideal singles tank. However, they do work fine, and they do give you lots of gas to burn. Since I got my 130s I haven't turned a dive because of gas. They work, and are good singles tanks, and they are not a burden, even for us skinny little guys. I really appreciate being able to do two medium (45 minutes at 60 feet or less) dives on the one tank, too.

That said, I got my 130s specifically so I could double them up, which I plan on doing in the next couple of weeks. If I were specifically buying singles tanks, there's no question I would have gone with E7-100s. The 100s still give you enough gas for all but the longest dives, and they are significantly more comfortable in and out of the water as well as much easier to handle on land.

I love my 130's and 119's as singles. Dive with them like that all the time. Extra gas at the end of the dive? No big deal. I pay less than $3.00 a fill for 32%. Extra weight? Really - no big deal.

DIR is Dead. Now it's DITW - Do it Triton's Way or you suck. :D

Triton - dive the way you want. I'll dive the way I want. The tanks work great in whatever configuration you choose. Really - it's no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom