PST E-8 119 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love having two E-8 130s as singles. You will love having a 119 for many reasons like two dives per fill and extra weight distributed better for dry suit diving. As far as the overfill don't worry. Sooner or latter you'll fill that tank to 3442 and leave it in a warm/hot vehicle while at lunch on the way to a dive and the tank pressure will get higher than that.

jclifton:
I love having two E-8 130s as singles. You will love having a 119 for many reasons like two dives per fill and extra weight distributed better for dry suit diving...

Extra weight. Extra weight. Extra weight. Those are definitely the key words.

If I want to do 4 dives, I have no problem with loading 4 steel 72s into my jeep cherokee. For 4 dives, I am still going to need to walk up and down the beach 4 times. With steel 72s, it is going to hurt a lot less than with a 120 or a 130.

Twin 130s is the very best configuration available in the USA for tech deco diving. But single 130s or 120s simply does not make any sense, sorry.

triton94949:
You are going to find that diving with a single 120 cu ft tank is a burden for virtually all single tank applications. Hauling it onto and off of a boat?? Wearing it as you trudge up and down a beach??

At 100 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 30 to 40 minutes. That is way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

At 50 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 90 to 100 minutes. That is also way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

Therefore anytime you dive 50 ft or deeper, you will be wearing a tank much larger and heavier than it needs to be, and you are going to be coming back with much more air/nitrox than you ever dreamed.

These tanks are made for twin tank diving, not as singles.

What about multi level diving?

triton94949:
Extra weight. Extra weight. Extra weight. Those are definitely the key words.

If I want to do 4 dives, I have no problem with loading 4 steel 72s into my jeep cherokee. For 4 dives, I am still going to need to walk up and down the beach 4 times. With steel 72s, it is going to hurt a lot less than with a 120 or a 130.

Twin 130s is the very best configuration available in the USA for tech deco diving. But single 130s or 120s simply does not make any sense, sorry.

Perhaps he is going to be making his own dives . . . not your dives! Diving from a boat?--don't have to swap out tanks for the second dive. Diving from shore?--can doff the gear at the shore line and gear up again for a second dive without the hike carrying gear between dives.

Fewer tanks to carry. Fewer tanks to fill. Fewer tanks to VIP every year. Fewer tanks to hydro. What's not to love about these 119 and 130 tanks?!!!

theskull

Another issue comes into play...

I am going on an Isle Royale liveaboard (Lake Superior) next year. The boat does not have room for doubles (and still serve as a live-aboard). The best that you can do for deep diving with those circumstances is a single 120 with an H-Valve. Yes, I own a set of double HP 100's and another set of doubled HP 130's. That is what I prefer to dive. But, in order to see what I want to see in a remote area I will dive the HP 120's without too much complaint.

For the information of people here, I have done two dives on my 120 in the same day (I do use a deco bottle for deep diving so add that into the equation.) One was on the Forest City to the stern at 150 ft. and the second was on the Niagara II to about 90 ft. This is not unreasonable to do. Typically, if using doubles or a large single, I will follow a similar dive schedule and it is less work in the end and nothing is wrong with bringing back gas.

Eric, enjoy that E8-119, no matter what you decide to do about the overfill. Personally, I don't believe in intentional "cave fills". But that is another debate. You will love it and I hope to see you with that tank this year on a charter. I'll be the guy with the doubled up E8-130's.

After listening to you guys, I've pretty much come up with I'm not too worried about it anymore. I am planning to double them up within the next year, and the weight was a big factor, with my drysuit.

You're absolutely correct to be concerned about this tank since it's now damaged goods. It's not safe and you should sell it to me, since I'm such a nice guy to take if offa your hands, for a hundred dollars. That's right, I'll give you $100.00 for this now junk tank! <snickering>

I wouldn't do this for just anyone, but for you, anything! :wink:

Randy

Lil' Irish Temper:
I went and picked up my 119 today at my LDS and the kid who was filling it came out to help someone else, and forgot my tank. Well, when he figured out he that he forgot my tank, he went back and said "I gotta drain some some air, I overfilled it" I asked how much and he said it was almost at 4300 pounds.

My question is - seeing how the e-8 119's are rated @ 3442 shouldn't my disc have blown out? That's 850 pounds over, way more then 10% overfill.

Lil' Irish Temper,

If the 4300psi was in a HOT tank that he just took off the fill whip, then I'd have waited for it to cool down before seeing how good a fill it was. The test pressure is stamped right on the neck 5250psi. The burst disk is supposed to sacrifice itself before a catastrophic cylinder failure sacrifices whoever happens to be in the area. Also, the comment about "10%" does not apply to high pressure tanks like the E8-119 (or any of the PST E-Series) -- the rated pressure is 3442. When I'm in Florida, I regularly get fills that cool to 3500-3600psi, but in Ohio I'm lucky if the fill ends up at 3200+. Oh well, it's still more than 100 cu.ft. And don't worry about triton94949's comments -- it just sounds like cylinder envy to me.

-Rob
(owner of two E8-119 singles)

Randy43068:
You're absolutely correct to be concerned about this tank since it's now damaged goods. It's not safe and you should sell it to me, since I'm such a nice guy to take if offa your hands, for a hundred dollars. That's right, I'll give you $100.00 for this now junk tank! <snickering>

I wouldn't do this for just anyone, but for you, anything! :wink:

Randy

Randy,

What a guy, trying to help me out like that! I wouldn't want to stick you with that tank. I've decided to let Kyle shoot it. :D

Back
Top Bottom