PST E-8 119 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triton94949:
I will be happy to take the blame for changing the subject.

In all honesty I believe that LiLIrish should get another 119 as well, and a manifold and bands, and put them together. Then think about getting either a 100 or a 72 for single tank diving.

So you see, all is not lost. :)

I have another one on the way, when will I double them up? That's a whole different thread. :satisfied

Just for that, I ordered my second e8-119 :)

Double them up? Not right now. I don't know what I would do with them doubled up. One of these days I will though. Until then, I'll dive them as singles. I am still a young, inexperienced hoover, so that extra air will help me. Maybe when I get as good at air consumption as some of the experts on this board, I'll sell them and get 100's... or 130's :)

i routinely burn down below 1000 psi in my E8-130s (i'd say my dives are probably a roughly normal distribution between 700 psi - 1200 psi) which means i'll often use more than 90 cu ft of gas on a dive. with an e7-100 that means 10 left, which is 350 psi getting out of the water. and thats just average. on half of my dives it'd be worse. i don't know what i'd do with a steel 72 other than ebay it.

i just don't see the point of single 100s. i was thinking about double 100s, but after talking to some tech divers, i think i'm going to just stick with the 130s for all applications, since i'll probably grow into them...

what we may have here is the difference between shore divers and boat divers. shore diving profiles have very long ascents and you usually spend significant time shallower (15-30 mins @ 0-50 fsw) where on a boat dive to a 100 fsw site you'd just get bored looking at the anchor line.

I dove it the other day, and I did notice I was a little top heavy, just gotta work out my trim.

I dive the E8-119 as both singles and doubles and really like the flexibility that the tank gives me. The closest dive shop is not known for good fills (2600-2800 being a normal fill) so having the 119 still ensures that I have enough gas for the dive. Usually I can get 2 dives out of one fill if they are of moderate depth or length. The weight of the tanks hasn't been a critical item, in fact it didn't take very long to get comfortable with the weight of them doubled up either (not planning on any jogging but it's better than I expected). Trim with the 119s has not been a critical item for myself either, I'm fairly short (5'5') so the tanks trimed out well for me once I figured out the best placement for the wing on the singles and doubles rigs.

triton94949:
You are going to find that diving with a single 120 cu ft tank is a burden for virtually all single tank applications. Hauling it onto and off of a boat?? Wearing it as you trudge up and down a beach??

At 100 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 30 to 40 minutes. That is way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

At 50 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 90 to 100 minutes. That is also way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

Therefore anytime you dive 50 ft or deeper, you will be wearing a tank much larger and heavier than it needs to be, and you are going to be coming back with much more air/nitrox than you ever dreamed.

These tanks are made for twin tank diving, not as singles.

Dive time will depend on your gas consumption rate. If you are a sipper then maybe the tanks a bit much if you're not expending any energy. I've been trying to control my gas rate and my size and rate justifies a larger tank. The weight is partially made up by less lead and I figure that if a 120# gal or guy can handle the Al80's, then a tall 230#'er can handle an extra 10-15#. I haven't come very close to a NDL yet with the Al-80, so if you need the gas, get the bigger tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom