Protection Cap for Valve on Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does everyone use the rubberized cap for the valve on top of the tank when the tank is not being used? I went to several LDS and they did not have any. Can I purchase one on the internet and if so where? Thanks

Ronnie

Ronniemu,
You can get those caps from many places. Just a few:
Scubatoys.com
Leisurepro.com
diverssupply.com

the K

Hey, Larry,
You see where you rank, don't you??? :D Right at the top.

By the way, my E8-119 got here in super time . . . THANX!!!

the K

Ronniemu:
Does everyone use the rubberized cap for the valve on top of the tank when the tank is not being used? I went to several LDS and they did not have any. Can I purchase one on the internet and if so where? Thanks

Ronnie

All the time. The last thing you want is water,sand, or debris getting in there. I'm runnning DIN so I want those threads primo clean. When the regulator comes off the caps go on. When I'm rinsing it all off I remove the caps to rinse away any salt buildup. Make sure evertything is clean and dry before capping it for good. Make sure everything is clean and dry before your next dive or before a fill whip is connected.

I like the thin soft dip-top caps like Larry has. There are some heavy black rubber ones that are so tight and stiff that they won't push down far enough to cover the port.

Pete

The main purpose of valve caps is to remind you whether or not the tank is full. Their effectiveness at actually protecting the valve is negligible.

When using DIN valves especially, the caps can actually do more harm than good by helping to trap water in the threads. This then can get blown into the tank or into your reg (which is bad).

They might protect the o-ring, prevent debris, and on some valves prevent the o-ring from being lost. I had a valve that constantly would lose the o-ring unti I replaced the insert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom