Pros/cons on backplate/wings vs wraparound BC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just looking for discussion on the pros/cons of backplate/wings (BPW) vs wraparound (WA.) I have budgeted a new BC this year and am, at the moment, looking at the ScubaPro xTec Pure series. (This was recommend by a trusted friend of a trusted friend.) My old WA ScubaPro DSV still has some life left in it, but I am ready for something a little more versatile since I have run out of pockets and places to put stuff.

Is BPW any more travel friendly than WA?

Pros/cons regarding balance & buoyancy?

... anything else you guys can think of...

Just looking for a BC that is versatile and accommodating that I can reconfigure as I try some new and different stuff.

Thanks
John

for me when I want to change set up. I just change my wing.

A BPW is probably the most diver friendly BC there is when it comes to customizing. Both in function and fit. I would stay away from the scubapro setup though unless you have money to throw away. It's way overpriced and there are many more that will do the exact same thing and of just as good quality for half the price.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Just looking for discussion on the pros/cons of backplate/wings (BPW) vs wraparound (WA.)
This is probably the most discussed topic on SB. There are numerous threads on the subject, and a simple search will bring most of them to your attention. For the sake of efficient searching, what you refer to as 'wraparound' is more often (and more correctly) described as a 'jacket' BCD.
I have budgeted a new BC this year and am, at the moment, looking at the ScubaPro xTec Pure series. (This was recommend by a trusted friend of a trusted friend.)
This is a very good system. Stainless steel BP, 30 lb wing - good for single cylinder diving - and a single piece / continuous web harness. As Jim points out, it may be at the higher end of the price spectrum, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, and cheapest may or may not be best.
My old WA ScubaPro DSV still has some life left in it, but I am ready for something a little more versatile since I have run out of pockets and places to put stuff.
If your concern is not having sufficient pocket space then you have two issues: 1) a BP/wing may not be the best alternative for you, and 2) you really need to carefully consider how much 'stuff' you are carrying on a dive. You can put pockets on the waist strap of a BP harness, or on your exposure suit/ For most of my recreational diving, a simple Halcyon pocket on my right waist strap will accomodate everything I need to carry. For a night dive, I clip a back-up light to my right chest strap, along with a canister light attached to my BP.
Is BPW any more travel friendly than WA?
I think it is, in terms of bulk, not in terms of weight.
Just looking for a BC that is versatile and accommodating that I can reconfigure as I try some new and different stuff.
Hard to beat the versatility of a BP/wing combination.

But, seriously, do the search.

Beware of BP/W systems that require a Single-Tank-Adapter (STA) to use with single tank wing. They will place a 11L (AL80) tank -the most common cylinder used at all dive operations & destination resorts worldwide- too high on your back so that you will be continually banging the back of your head on the 1st stage of your regulator.

Select a single tank wing that does not need a STA, and using only two cam straps to attach the wing & tank through the slots on the backplate itself. (The whole tank/wing may be a little looser than a STA attached unit, but at least you won't be hitting the back of your head on the 1st stage).

Best advice is to try both BP/W and wrap-around jacket style BC systems and see which is most comfortable for you.

Edit/Append: Just saw this STA which has an extra-set of cam band slots cut inside of the thru-bolt holes which line up with the backplate. These additional slots will allow cam bands placement which will fix the problem of the tank & head banging into the 1st stage described above. . .

UTD Online Store - +1 855 DIVEUTD (348-3883) or +1 760 585-9676 - [email]sales@utdequipment.com[/email]

Last edited:
My old WA ScubaPro DSV still has some life left in it, but I am ready for something a little more versatile since I have run out of pockets and places to put stuff.

John

This is one of the most debated, wore out topics ever next to the long hose vs some other kinda of hose.

If pockets are what you want, a wing/BP has none, so you are out of luck there. Better stick with a jacket, they usually have several pockets and retainers and plastic D rings and retractors and knife mounts and bells and whistles and some of it is useful once or twice.

N

You are apparently satisfied with a jacket-style and you like pockets. I say stick with it.

Pockets should not be an issue--if you need them, put them on your exposure suit or a pair of neoprene shorts. I can't think of any reason to buy a jacket BC, and a number of reasons not to.

The Xtec Pure has no pockets standard ($80 add-on) so why are you considering it?

Since you live in Dallas, I'd suggest a trip to ScubaToys. They'll sell you the right thing for your planned diving. Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment Wetsuits GoPro Cameras Cheap online

Maybe a Zeagle Stiletto or a ScubaPro Knighthawk. By the time you add the X-tek wing ($425), Single tank adapter ($135) and $80 pockets to the X-tek harness ($250) you're going to be at almost $900 anyway. Like Jim mentioned, that seems overpriced even for a BP/W system.

The Stiletto is a single tank travel BC with pockets at around $525. The Knighthawk is a back-inflation BC at just over $600 - you seem to like ScubaPro so it's an option. Scubatoys is also a ScubaPro dealer so they'll likely have an X-tek you can try also. Scubatoys also sells the Brigade - it's their own model consisting of a Zeagle Ranger (pockets) mated to a smaller Escape wing for travel. It's $459...

If travel is the bigger concern, look at a Zeagle Wicked Lite or Express Tech with add-on zip-mount pockets. Or the ScubaPro Go.

The Zeagle line has zip on accessory options. You can zip on several different pockets, pony holders, strips with grommets to clip things onto etc. The Ranger LTD comes with the mated zippers under the wings for streamlining - for all other models you add their zip-mount option to use the same accessories. http://www.zeagle.com/showproducts/40/ranger-ltd-accessories/ I have a pocket under my wing that I carry a 2nd light and a folding mask in.

fwiw, I bought a Ranger LTD instead of a Knighthawk - although I went to my dealer to buy the ScubaPro originally.

Back
Top Bottom