Pros/cons on backplate/wings vs wraparound BC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was considering a snarky comment about how many dozens of threads must be findable on this topic using the "search" feature, but I will refrain.

I like my Zeagle Express Tech, which is a sort of hybrid between a jacket-style and a BP/W. It has a plastic backplate and minimalist webbing, and you can choose the size of "wing"/bladder you prefer. It packs very compactly for travel--you can actually bend the backplate somewhat--and weighs very little. It has traveled around the world with me in a backpack. I like the combination of features that it borrows from the jacket and BP/W styles. Others might take the position that it suffers because it is a compromise solution, inherently not having the benefit of the synergism of dedicated jacket features OR the synergism of dedicated BP/W features.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did do a quick search before posting. As noted, I may have been using the wrong key words or search criteria. I will dig back into it again. One of the things I was hoping to get out of this discussion is leads for more in depth research.

Regarding the ScubaPro; it was suggested by a friend of a friend and since I had no other base for reference, it was a good starting point. I had intended to go by Scubatoys yesterday, but just did not plan my day adequately.

Actually, I have more or less tolerated my DSV; there was room for improvement, but not really bad enough to warrant replacing it; nothing is perfect. It has always worked OK; it is difficult to stay planed out in, it tends to float me in a standing position underwater and face down on the surface. It does have four pockets though... it was my first BC and I really didn't know what to look for; on that note, I did buy it used and did not intend to have it this long...

thanks
John

A BC should not float you. It should compensate for changes in pressure and allow you to be neutral. In an ideal world this is all it would do. Your skill, trim, and choice of weighting is what determines your position in the water. I don't want a BC that tends to keep me upright underwater. I want it to allow me to place weight where it's needed most. A BPW does that.

Lorenziod noted the Zeagle Express Tech. Another of my personal favorites and most likely BC I am teaching in the pool with. Add an XS or similar weight pouch to each cam band, tuck them up tight against the backplate (you may have to reverse the direction on one band), drop a 3lb weight in each one and you have nearly the same thing as a stainless steel plate. Interchangeable wings, inflators, weight systems, etc. But the base model with an added 25-30 bucks of d rings, slides, and metal buckle and along with the weight pockets on the can bands you have one of the best travel rigs out there. And the total cost of one set up like I did mine was under $300.00 retail. Actually way less with the instructor discount I got at the shop that sold it to me. here is a review I did on it :
Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

Pockets on just about every BC I have ever used leave something to be desired. Thigh pockets, whether using one on a suit or shorts or drop down from the waist belt and fastened to the thigh, do everything I need them to do. All the suits I own, wet and dry, have them and that every mfg does not offer this as a standard feature on one model of their wetsuit at least really blows my mind. It just screams common sense.

You will eventually hear or see a comment that BPW's float you face down on the surface. This is a lie. What pushed you forward is poor weighting and overinflation of the wing. Only your chin needs to be out of the water. Some people prefer being higher up but this is not necessary. It's a choice and one that with a back inflate of any kind will force them to put more air in than needed. Along with not knowing how to distribute their weights properly.

If you are going to Scubatoys ask them to show you a HOG BPW set up. You can get a complete one for less than the SP wing alone. And they have a ten year warranty against pinch flats on the wing. No STA needed either.

I like my Aeris EX100 jacket. It does exactly what I need a BC to do. I tried a BP/W for awhile and didn't like it at all. But, to each his own.

Just looking for discussion on the pros/cons of backplate/wings .....since I have run out of pockets and places to put stuff.

As others have said, do a search. You could actually just browse this forum for thread titles. I typed in "BP/W vs jacket" and got 500 threads; that's probably a small fraction of the discussion. Want the short answer? BP/W-good, jacket BC-bad. How's that for insightful, helpful information? :wink:

Personally I've sworn off posting on these threads....whoops!!

I have got to ask: How many pockets did you fill up, and what "stuff" do you need to find places for?

Edit: you'll have far better results if you search the BC forum, not this general equipment one.

Last edited:
Yes there are pros and cons. If you dive doubles you're pretty destined to use the backplate. The SS BP allows 6 lbs off your lead, but you need a weight belt. If you have trouble with a wt belt a wt-integrated BC is a nice solution. Drysuit diving favors the SS plate as you generally need more wt. Pockets are hard to add to BP, and for me the issue was all the adjustability of the harness, which drove me crazy as I was constantly adjusting the thing.

for me the issue was all the adjustability of the harness, which drove me crazy as I was constantly adjusting the thing.

at least you can.... unless you are the magazine model (and I just don't see the majority of the population in this category - self included), I'm not sure who the conventional jackets are made for...

As everybody has said, we talk about this here a lot.

I like backplate setups; it's what I dive, but it isn't what I started with. I have specific reasons I prefer them -- the tank is held more stable on my back, the steel becomes part of my ballast, and I don't have to work at snugging straps down to get the thing properly adjusted. I also like the front of my body clean, and since I am a small person, the big flaps involved in integrated weights came all the way up to my armpits and drove me nuts.

There are downsides. There is no storage, but a set of pocket shorts solves that neatly, and some items (lights, for example) can be neatly stowed on the harness. There is no weight integration, although you CAN buy weight pockets (the ScubaPro setup has them as an option) and install those on the waistband, if you want. There are no releases or adjustments in the harness -- but if you get the harness adjusted correctly, it's quite easy to get in and out of, and as I said above, you don't have to worry about hauling on those "pull out and down" straps, trying to get the thing snugged down enough.

The upsides are stability, simplicity, modularity, easy packing, less total ballast (because there is no padding that requires lead to sink), and in my opinion, comfort.

I dived with a soft plate BC (Dive Rite Transpac) for about two years after OW, then switched to hard BPW afterward. I had a good size pouch to act as a pocket and after several years of diving, I can't figure out what the heck I need the pocket for so I took it out. My flashlights are tethered with lanyards and with bolt snaps at one end so that I can clip them to shoulder D-rings then the flashlights are tucked into my waist belts. Out of the way when I don't need them, pull right out when I need them and easily tucked back into my waist belt without having to worry about fumbling to open up a pouch.

My cutting tools are also mounted onto the waist belt. If I were intending on harvesting lobsters or collecting shells then I'd get a little meshbag that clips to one of my hip D-rings. Same thing with doing trash cleaning up. I've occassionally picked up trash and either tucked them into my waist belt or just held them in one of my hands.

I now started to bring a magnifying glass along to help spot tiny nudibranches. Guess what? It get lanyarded, clipped to shoulder D-ring and tucked into my waist belt too.

However, I will get thigh pockets for my dry suit and if I were to get another wetsuit for summer diving, I'd throw two pouches on my thighs as well. Out of the way, streamlined and easy to get to.

Yes there are pros and cons. If you dive doubles you're pretty destined to use the backplate. The SS BP allows 6 lbs off your lead, but you need a weight belt. If you have trouble with a wt belt a wt-integrated BC is a nice solution. Drysuit diving favors the SS plate as you generally need more wt. Pockets are hard to add to BP, and for me the issue was all the adjustability of the harness, which drove me crazy as I was constantly adjusting the thing.

I have set of weight pockets for my wing and they were a doddle to fit. I no longer use them though as all my weight is on the BP. The plate itself weighs 3kg and I have a 5kg V-weight between the cylinders and BP, meaning I need nothing on my waist.

Back
Top Bottom