Problem with generic braided hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those might be older Miflex hoses, not sure. I see the one has a date of 2009?

The Miflex hoses of today are not the same as those in 2009. But, the manufacturers need to answer these things, speculation is not accomplishing anything. The hoses that are shedding particles and plugging the second stage volcano orifice, well, that is dangerous for sure.

James

It may be that Miflex hoses have been around long enough now that we are seeing the first long term issues! Anyway, when any hoses I am using start looking a bit tired I change them out, regardless of type.

That is SB's Devondiver http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/devondiver-82070.html

I am surprised that he hasn't contributed to this thread or even started his own with this experience.

Yes I recall it's Andy, a technical instructor in the Phils. He used to be an avid poster here. Whoever discovers such failures owes it to the diving community to bring this to the attention of the vendor and manufacturer so no one gets hurt.

It may be that Miflex hoses have been around long enough now that we are seeing the first long term issues! Anyway, when any hoses I am using start looking a bit tired I change them out, regardless of type.

The problem here is these hoses are not "looking tired" or giving any other early indication of failure like cracking or slight leaks. It would appear that they look good and work well until they suddenly just stop delivering sufficient gas to sustain a diver. That is CPSC recall type failure.

My Miflex hoses were produced in 2009. I opened them up and found not sign of any degradation. I am looking forward to hearing what XS Scuba has to say.

BTW, I mostly dive standard rubber hoses, some probably 25 Y/O or older. No cracks, no leaks, no worries. I may have to change out my Miflex hoses until this is cleared up.

I cant believe the manufacturer has not recalled every one of these hose yet. They are a death trap! As they would say "this is your life support equipment". Or maybe they only say that when it benefits them:idk:.

Sorry but I just had to.

I just got two new MiFlex hoses a few weeks ago for a second set of deco regs. BOTH had a nice label attached to them declaring who made the hoses. BUT, neither has any etching or stamps in the crimps to say who made them. So now what? B.

I just got two new MiFlex hoses a few weeks ago for a second set of deco regs. BOTH had a nice label attached to them declaring who made the hoses. BUT, neither has any etching or stamps in the crimps to say who made them. So now what? B.

Just checked 6 of my Miflex hoses, some from OC rig, one from bailout rig, and a couple of old ones. Some new some old. All say Miflex, not MFX. All Say Extreme, EN250, 35 BAR, Made in Italy, then what appears to be a varying date code; 2Q12 or 2012, 3012 or 3Q12, 0613 or Q613, and 2912 or 2Q12. With that said, I'll say THIS again, have used MiFlex since "Day 1" and have NEVER had a failure or issue. I did have one of the "suspect" HP hoses from 2 or 3 years ago, and it was exchanged with no issues.

All of my Miflex hoses are laser etched with Miflex and other identifying info and came in a plastic reuseable envelope. I would be suspect of any that are any other way as not being genuine.

The Miflex website clearly states and I eatlier posted an excerpt, all of their products are etched Miflex on the fittings. Something odd seems afoot.

Last edited:
I have had braided regulator hoses leak on the surface but never underwater.
The kind of leak is when turning on the air you can feel air coming out all over the hose.
I suspect it is due to the inner lining became brittle and cracked.
My thought is if the inner lining has become brittle and about to crack, the air pressure would have burst the brittle inner lining as soon as the tank is opened.
As far as I know, the outer layers of the hose are not airtight so as soon as the inner lining cracks, air will leak.
I find it very unlikely that the crack happens underwater but I could be wrong.
I will continue to use braided hose, but now I bring spare hoses with me when on a dive trip.

I have had braided regulator hoses leak on the surface but never underwater.
The kind of leak is when turning on the air you can feel air coming out all over the hose.
I suspect it is due to the inner lining became brittle and cracked.
My thought is if the inner lining has become brittle and about to crack, the air pressure would have burst the brittle inner lining as soon as the tank is opened.
As far as I know, the outer layers of the hose are not airtight so as soon as the inner lining cracks, air will leak.
I find it very unlikely that the crack happens underwater but I could be wrong.
I will continue to use braided hose, but now I bring spare hoses with me when on a dive trip.

Were yours Miflex or generic? How old/much use had they seen? Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom