Problem at Gilboa 4/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is just a note to all of those who consider 100' in the carribean to be a totally different animal to 100' in cold dark quarry water:

The same physics are the same in both locations. If the exact same chain of event happened in warm water, the result would have been the same. The only difference is frequency of these things in the cold water.

Please don't assume that 100' is a safer depth just because the water temp is 75+ and not 40 or less.

in_cavediver:
This is just a note to all of those who consider 100' in the carribean to be a totally different animal to 100' in cold dark quarry water:

The same physics are the same in both locations. If the exact same chain of event happened in warm water, the result would have been the same. The only difference is frequency of these things in the cold water.

Please don't assume that 100' is a safer depth just because the water temp is 75+ and not 40 or less.

Not saying that 100' is safer... 100' feet is still 100' but cold, dark, increased likelihood of freeflows, etc. all contribute to making 100' at Gilboa riskier in my opinion than say a 100' dive on the Spiegel Grove depending upon the conditions.

Then again I've been out on the Spiegel in 8 footers with a 1 to 2 knot current and would have rather been 100' deep in Gilboa.

After having done both places, I will probably not do Gilboa deep side ever without doubles. Yet I have no problem doing the Spiegel or Duane or Bibb on an AL-80 on most days.

So while I would not say 100' is a safer depth, I would say that on any given day conditions at Gilboa at 100' warrant more caution perhaps.

Ideally the planning should happen the same way for both dives with all the factors taken into consideration.

Got a different question here: 3 diver teams always seem more challenging to work than buddy pairs. Anyone think this might have been part of the problem...?

DandyDon:
Got a different question here: 3 diver teams always seem more challenging to work than buddy pairs. Anyone think this might have been part of the problem...?

Definatly a possibility. Three man teams are difficult to manage.

scubapolly:
Definatly a possibility. Three man teams are difficult to manage.

Depends on how long they've dove together. 3 person team is optimal for safety in cave diving.

You have one person to help with the "emergency" and the third buddy can provide "eyes on" and an unencumbered brain when the other two might be developing tunnel vision.

wb416:
Depends on how long they've dove together. 3 person team is optimal for safety in cave diving.

You have one person to help with the "emergency" and the third buddy can provide "eyes on" and an unencumbered brain when the other two might be developing tunnel vision.

I'm guessing a 4 man team wreck diving is a big no-no......

wb416:

I like three man TEAMS just fine.

wb416:
A facet of this is DEFINITELY about doubles vs "pony"...
I'm going to generalize... divers don't generally practice going to a pony, stage, or deco bottle in a split-second reaction emergency situation. I'd be interested in a show of hands of those that honestly do...
I've noticed you have given a number of posts related to this and I would like to learn some from you. I am a relatively new diver (<50 dives) who typicaly carries a pony. I have it at my side like a stage, but I have the first stage on a bungie around my neck. I am used to donating the primary and switching to the pony at the same time. I don't have any plans to get doubles and/or take a deco procedures class, so any advice about what specific pracedures should be practiced would be helpful, and relivent as I will be doing more colder diving in the near future, including Gilboa next week (though nothing deep.)

That has to be a little uncomfortable :wink:

M_Bipartitus:
I have the first stage on a bungie around my neck.

Should we assume that it should read "second" or "octo". Then again you wouldn't have to buy another first stage for the pony. Just breath right off the valve. :D

Back
Top Bottom