Private label production regulators

Would you buy/dive "private label" equipment?

• I would dive only with “brand name” scuba equipment I know and trust

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • I would buy and dive "private label" scuba equipment

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I would only buy it if I'm sure I can get full service and a full (US) warranty

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I would buy “private label” equipment only trough a dealer I trust, but not trough the I

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a lot more, including that the owner Steve Ku passed away on the 21st after a long fight with cancer. He was a great person and a unsung force in the diving world.

Seriously, I make my living knowing more on this issue, supply sources are extremely valuable and I'm only going to point out when wrong assumptions are made, not give away every source I or others use. Hope you understand.

But, you can confirm it when we are right, can't you?:wink:

Sorry for any confusion here – the last thing I really want is finger pointing and politics. This is an open forum, and while I did not read all of Mike’s posts, I have to disagree with your statement of “… big mouth”. I think most experienced divers on this forum know a lot more than they say, and some may fish in the dark and hope to catch the big one.

As a sales rep for a manufacturer, I think that your company has a reg in testing, and not you personally. But perhaps I’m mistaken here. Chances are that it was developed somewhere else, but maybe not. Really, I feel it does not matter. I like to make scuba diving a safer sport, and help the “newbie’s” to avoid mistakes typically made. I would also like to get the politics out of the diving industry, but I also know that I will not see the day.

Furthermore, I do not think that any kid runs out and ask ODS for quote to save a buck on a reg. They are volume manufacturers. I have been several times in Taiwan and China, and I know Frankie Chen from Duton as well. He is a good man, at least in my opinion. Duton manufacturers some goods, and buys others from somewhere else. Everybody does, and some buy everything and manufacture nothing.

If you or your company has a new reg with a WOB of 0.65 – excellent. Test it and get it to the market. Everybody needs better dive equipment. Just let the politics out of the game, and do something good today so you can be proud of yourself.

Just remember, there are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old bold divers.

Sorry for any confusion here – the last thing I really want is finger pointing and politics. This is an open forum, and while I did not read all of Mike’s posts, I have to disagree with your statement of “… big mouth”. I think most experienced divers on this forum know a lot more than they say, and some may fish in the dark and hope to catch the big one.

As a sales rep for a manufacturer, I think that your company has a reg in testing, and not you personally. But perhaps I’m mistaken here. Chances are that it was developed somewhere else, but maybe not. Really, I feel it does not matter. I like to make scuba diving a safer sport, and help the “newbie’s” to avoid mistakes typically made. I would also like to get the politics out of the diving industry, but I also know that I will not see the day.

Furthermore, I do not think that any kid runs out and ask ODS for quote to save a buck on a reg. They are volume manufacturers. I have been several times in Taiwan and China, and I know Frankie Chen from Duton as well. He is a good man, at least in my opinion. Duton manufacturers some goods, and buys others from somewhere else. Everybody does, and some buy everything and manufacture nothing.

If you or your company has a new reg with a WOB of 0.65 – excellent. Test it and get it to the market. Everybody needs better dive equipment. Just let the politics out of the game, and do something good today so you can be proud of yourself.

Just remember, there are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old bold divers.

Mike is one of my dealers and a friend. He knew that my "big mouth' comment was a joke.

I'm not a sales rep anymore, that is left over in my profile from when I used to rep for another company. EDGE/HOG is me. (and a couple investors...but they have real jobs not in diving)

No, I'm not "making" the reg, I am working with an engineer who in turn works with others. It is a team effort. I happen to be the one footing the bill, specifying out what I want and have final say on the project. I've also been doing independent testing of the reg to verify what my sometimes eager engineer says....:D

Many people here on SB know me and my sense of humour, but welcome aboard!

Best,

Chris

Sorry for any confusion here – the last thing I really want is finger pointing and politics. This is an open forum, and while I did not read all of Mike’s posts, I have to disagree with your statement of “… big mouth”. .

Thanks for your support....Cerich can be a real jerk :wink: LOL>....just kidding Chris....Chris and I know each other for awhile now and he was just joking with the "bigmouth" comment......but we can still shoot Chris a big :mooner:

LOL....but seriously, I cant wait for those regs....I LOVE new products:D

I purchased a regulator set (1st, 2nd & Octo) from Performance Diver's mail order catalog back in the early '90s to use as a backup set for when I travel. Turns out is was a Mares MR12 III that had "Performance" branded covers on the 2nd stages instead of Mares. Never had any problems getting it serviced and was quite happy with it. I finally retired it this year after my wife ended up using it for a final time on a trip to the Maldives earlier this year after she had a problem with her ScubaPro.

Just because it's a Taiwan company does not mean all the products are manufactured in Taiwan. For instance take a look at this link from a major player in the Asia market. These regs are manufactured in Italy. They look like alot those regs sold by various companys that sell tech diving equipment. Saekodive

IMO, the Salvo, Oxycheq and Edge are made to spec by the same company. There appear to be minor differences in the first stages, type of chrome, environmental sealing and O rings. The first two brands appear to be directed at "tech" divers, eg the first stages are fitted with DIN screw in plugs.

I'd buy, for example, Salvo regs. The reason I would buy them is that I trust the guys at Salvo. They do the same kind of diving I do, and the customer service on their lights is amazing. I can't imagine them marketing a regulator that they wouldn't dive themselves.

That said, I'd do what I'd do with any other reg -- I'd find out what the design is, what the warranty is, and what the service options are. I'd LOVE to find a private label reg that would make manuals and service kits available to consumers.

Just because it's a Taiwan company does not mean all the products are manufactured in Taiwan. For instance take a look at this link from a major player in the Asia market. These regs are manufactured in Italy. They look like alot those regs sold by various companys that sell tech diving equipment. Saekodive

Yes, there are a number of good Italian manufacturers of 1st stages mainly, SAN-O-SUB Srl - springs to mind as one of the better ones. They have been making OEM regulators for some of the bigger European brands in the past and have a generic line of their own, the 1st stages are bullet proof,their generic line of 2nd stage demand valves is a bit "rough and ready" but you could mate the 1st stage with any 2nd stage of your choice, dial it in and "Bobs your uncle"!

The Italian brand Seac Sub also dos OEM work as well.

That’s correct – not everything is manufactured in Taiwan. While they have a substantial manufacturing base over there, they are also a “marketing hub”. They buy in China and Thailand (and perhaps in Italy too), consolidate their offerings to present a full line, and sell it off to “second tier” manufacturers. I did see a quote from a Chinese company (BCD manufacturer), requiring a minimum purchase of 800 units. However, the unit price for a medium range jacket style BCD was below US-$30. In the US, it retails for $350 to 450.

I do not know Sanosub, but some of their regs look a bit like some ScubaPro piston regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom