Private label production regulators

Would you buy/dive "private label" equipment?

• I would dive only with “brand name” scuba equipment I know and trust

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • I would buy and dive "private label" scuba equipment

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I would only buy it if I'm sure I can get full service and a full (US) warranty

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I would buy “private label” equipment only trough a dealer I trust, but not trough the I

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple of scubamax regs that I bought from Dive Sports and I really like them. I have been using them on my doubles with no problems at all. They actually breathe quite well. I was not to worried about service, because I figured I would either just send them back to Dive Sports for service or I would but the parts kits from Dive Sports and then have my local guy service them. I figured anyone who has been around the industry for a while would be able to service them, so I am not to worried about it. I would (and probably will) buy another scubamax reg...

Phil

I have a couple of scubamax regs that I bought from Dive Sports and I really like them. I have been using them on my doubles with no problems at all. They actually breathe quite well. I was not to worried about service, because I figured I would either just send them back to Dive Sports for service or I would but the parts kits from Dive Sports and then have my local guy service them. I figured anyone who has been around the industry for a while would be able to service them, so I am not to worried about it. I would (and probably will) buy another scubamax reg...

Phil

The folks I've talked to that used Scubamax regs like them. but I wouldn't consider them "private label". But they are OEM'd at Ocean Divers Taiwan just like many other OEM regs.

but Scubamax is brand and sells (OEM's) all kinds of gear to dealers all across the country. They just aren't a "big name brand" like Aqualung, etc.

If you do a Google search you'll find that Dive Sports, ScubaToys, Scuba.com, Divers Supply, and many other sell them as a brand.

BTW... ScubaMax is owned by United Maxon, which is a sporting goods wholesaler in CA.

Mike covered the subject pretty well..

There are many identical regs only with a slight different cosmetic. Some vendors knows which regs are identical and have an interchangeable parts, but most LDS has no idea.

As for the qualify satisfaction of the private label, it is the matter of the quality control from each importer, not a quality in itself.

Damn you Mike, I am sitting here in my dinningroom with no lights on and just my laptop and I tried to smash your little bug...

Now back on subject - Thanks for the info on Scubamax. I have been really happy with the regs. Great Price for a good reg.

Phil

I'd buy, for example, Salvo regs. The reason I would buy them is that I trust the guys at Salvo. They do the same kind of diving I do, and the customer service on their lights is amazing. I can't imagine them marketing a regulator that they wouldn't dive themselves.

That said, I'd do what I'd do with any other reg -- I'd find out what the design is, what the warranty is, and what the service options are. I'd LOVE to find a private label reg that would make manuals and service kits available to consumers.

Salvo regulators are made by Duton Industries in Taiwan. They did also make a lot of regulators for Dive Rite before they switched to Poseidon. As far as parts and service kits go, that’s a liability issue. As far as I know, no Asian OEM manufacturer carrier’s liability insurance that is valid in the US.
Coverage does costs at least $25.000 per year for the importer, who legally speaking is the manufacturer. Some companies avoid carrying liability insurance by setting up holding companies somewhere else. This way, they can pass on potential liability suites (i.e. for manufacturer’s defects) to countries where lawyers can litigate for 10 years without getting anywhere. That’s a lot cheaper than paying liability insurance premiums.
Making spare parts available to the end-user increases (in the eyes of the insurance company) the risk of malfunction. And perhaps it really does, since most divers would not know how to service a regulator. Therefore, premiums would increase dramatically or insurance companies would deny coverage altogether if a manufacturer (read: importer) would sell rebuild kits to the end-user.
Importers need to have a set of rules in place to obtain liability insurance. For example, they need to be able to inform their dealers that batch A with serial numbers from - to is defective and should not be sold. These issues are usually limited to regulators and BCD's, since they are considered live support gear. HID-lights and other diving equipment is not affected. This is why Salvo did have an "easy" start (however, they did have their run-ins with Halcyon). Now only time will tell how well they are doing after they added additional items to offer a full line.

Smells like too many lawyers have gotten their greedy little paws into the mix...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom