Prescription Dive Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoffreyweglarz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody had any luck getting a prescription dive mask for readers? I tried www.prescriptiondivemasks.com but they totally screwed up my masks. Then, they refused to give me a refund - after charging me $165 per mask! All they did was stick on some readers that fogged up and were blurry. They are sending me back masks with no prescription, but no refund. What a rip off.

Anybody have any luck with a place that is reputable?

Thanks,

Geoffrey

I got mine through my LDS. ProBlue brand with stock prescription lenses. They're single vision prescription though, not bifocal or readers.

I've twice used Prescription Dive Masks and have gotten excellent products and service from them. Sorry you didn't have the same success with them.

Its kinda sad when one of our customers has a problem, that can not be fixed. Our customer wanted stock readers even though he had a distance prescription that the stock reader of +2.25 would not accommodate. After that did not work, Prescription dive masks got him a new Tusa HD mask and new lenses at NO COST that accommodated his astigmatism which he should have been able to see out of. I believe he was upset because he couldn't use both eyes together because the nose pocket on the mask is to large. Sometimes going out of our way to help a customer just doesn't work out. For this customer we bought him 2 brand new masks his Tusa HD and Scuba pro framless that we will be shipping out to him at no charge, hopefully he will find someone that can put the readers into these masks to make him happy.

I got a set of the SeaVision 2100 masks (all 3 color lenses), all with their gauge reader lenses. I could not be happier with the performance. Bonus: They accepted my HSA debit card for payment, so I had no out of pocket cost!

Masks - SeaVisionUSA

I was diving with an Atomic Frameless (2? I can't remember) mask. I always had a slow leak, which I just chalked up to having a mustache (even though I would trim it really, REALLY short before diving). This, after trying on a BUNCH of masks at my LDS and determining that the Atomic gave the best seal of them all. I would now recommend to anyone trying on masks that they do so with a snorkel or regulator in their mouth as I believe it changes the shape of your face and CAN affect how a mask seals. But I digress...

I went to Hawaii in March and my dive buddy had SeaVision 2100 masks. He got me to try his so I could see how cool the magenta lens is, in blue water, and how the gauge reader lenses worked. I loved the magenta lens. The gauge reader lenses worked great for me. And I happened to eventually notice that I was having no leaks. Nice! I went back to my Atomic mask for the second dive of that day and was right back to clearing my mask every few minutes.

So, I ordered my own SeaVisions as soon as I got home. I've now got about 15 or so dives on them and still think they are the bee's knees.

I also really like that you can order the SeaVision masks with either a clear or black skirt and your choice of colors for the trim. They make each mask to order. That does mean you need to be prepared to order and wait at least 2 weeks before you receive your order. With so many options, I went for black on black! LOL

As a less expensive alternative, I was using $15 HydroTac stick-on reader lenses form Walmart in my Atomic mask. They also worked fine. They even have the benefit of getting whatever power you want. +1.5, +1.75, +2.0, etc.. The SV gauge readers are only offered in +2.0, I believe.

Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses, 1.50 - Walmart.com

I followed the instructions and info I found here on SB and put mine on and let them dry for a couple of days before I went diving with them and they stayed on through all 10 dives that I used them for, before I got the SeaVision masks. I think the HydroTacs are an excellent option for anyone who needs readers and already has a mask that works well for them otherwise. And I think they may be the only option for frameless masks (vs subframe masks).

HydroTac does have a scuba-specific version of their lens. From what I could tell, they cost twice as much and the only difference is that they are a little bigger. The regular $15 ones have been plenty big enough for me. I don't think I'd really want bigger ones.

I also put a set of the HydroTac lens on the inside of my regular sunglass lenses - which are quite curved. They have been on there for over 4 months now. One did pop off, once, but it came off when my glasses were laying on my desk, so I found it immediately and put it right back on and it has been secure ever since. Fortunately, you can see when air is getting under the HydroTacs and they are getting near to coming off. They get a LOT of air under them before they come off. And the air under them is not noticeable when you are wearing them. You only see it when you take the glasses (or mask) off and look at them. When that happens, you can just put your glasses in some water, then squeeze the air (as much as you can) out from under the HydroTac and let them dry again and you're back to good. I have done this once with the ones on my sunglasses.

I have 3 masks with readers that I got from Prescription Dive masks and as another said- had great results and service. If fact when I get my new prescription I will be up to #4 (3 were Atomic Frameless- best mask ever for me).

SeaVision, without question . . .

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

I've had very positive with Seavision x2.

They got my prescription correct for distance and close up, and delivered quickly.

The stick on readers floated off when I tried them.

I too used Prescription Dive Masks and was pleased with the results, but when it came time for a new Rx, they said I would have to buy a new mask instead of just replacing the lenses. I then switched to Leonard Maggiore Prescription Dive Masks and the service was excellent. He assured me that when it came time to replace the lenses, they would do so instead of my having to buy a whole new mask. He had me read the Rx over the phone so they could get started on the lenses while my mask was in transit. I got it back in just a week or ten days. They are bifocals and correct for astigmatism and presbyopia.

Another vote for SeaVision. I have readers in mine, and my wife has her full prescription in hers. Plus, never had a seal leak on either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom