Prescription masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarrenC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all

I’m doing my PADI open water in October.

I wear glasses so will need to get a prescription mask to be able to read my equipment. I am planning on having corrective eye surgery early next year so didn’t really want the expense of a prescription mask as it will probably only get used once. So my question is, has anyone had any experience with the stick on prescription overlays? Are they any good?

I don’t get on with contact lenses and don’t t like the idea of wearing them for diving.

Thank you

Darren

I've read mixed reviews on the stick-on lenses. Some say they they love them. Others complain of them falling off and getting lost. If you are only needing them for one dive you may be ok.

If you can get by with single vision (and I suspect many that need / want progressives above water can), prescription masks are not that expensive. I am lucky that the "Scuba Choice" no-name brand from amazon fits my face (same for my wife), and these are very inexpensive (USD50, iirc). My LDS has a similar, non-famous brand for about twice as much. Of course try before you buy is probably worth it for masks.

I also have the problem of not being a regular contacts wearer.

Second the recommendation from d^2b for no-name (palantic) "scuba-choice" mask if you only need myopia correction. They come in 1/2 diopters, symmetric for both eyes. I would go for the stronger eye (weaker prescription) if you have an asymmetric prescription. Being under water magnifies things and air like visibility is rare. If the prescription is wildly asymmetric I think you can also call one of the online sellers and they can arrange for a custom build.

Pretty decent build quality for the price and relatively universal skirt design. I guess if you have an odd shaped head you might need to see if you can find one somewhere to try on. Especially if you are only going to use it a couple of times a very slight misfit is probably manageable. Even with a well fitted mask, it's probably advisable to be comfortable with water randomly being on your face/in your eyes.

If you can get by with single vision (and I suspect many that need / want progressives above water can), prescription masks are not that expensive.
And remember you can easily pop out the prescription lenses and put back the plain glass lenses supplied with the mask once you have had the surgery.

I have a prescription mask now, but before I used a magnifying glass attached to my BC. Sick on’s didn’t work for me.

I have heard that if you use stick ons it is imperative that the lens is absolutely clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom