Preparing Private Yacht for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never done anything like that so I am guessing here but I would echo a few of the comments above:
Regs
1) try to standardise the sets as much as possible and make it a brand that is readily available worldwide.
2) Bring at least a couple of full spare sets (assembled ready to go in case of a problem, it simply becomes a case of take the first set off and replace it instead of changing hoses or second stages.
3) Bring a reasonable amount of service kits and know what you are doing with them ( get the training if need be). Don't worry about bringing too many as I would imagine that you will be stopping at various ports along the way and will have radio contact so additional sets would not be an issue to get.

BCD (jacket or BP&W might change your choices here)
Bring a few spare weights of various sizes
zip ties (by the dozen in a number of different sizes)
puncture repair kits, sewing kit and spare webbing
Clips and buckles (esp if you are using jackets with plastic buckles and clips)

Fins - a couple of spare sets including straps.
Masks - a number of different spares. Also spare straps/snorkels - not everyone might choose to dive every time. Sometimes snorkelling might be enough (between dives if you see something worthwhile in the water but can't dive as too short an SI).

First aid kit - as Wingy suggests go for the full medical kit and have enough training to be able to use it all. If you are stuck away from port and have a medical emergency, you need to be able to take decisive action.

Boat wise- as Wingy suggests, make sure you have entry and exit from the boat taken care off. Cargo net to hang on to, along with lines for use in currents and ladders/ boat lift (with spares).

PLB's might be a good idea as well.

People you would received more focused replies if you could confirm:
1) whether the yacht is already set up for long-range cruising with all the necessary safety and medical gear, or whether that is part of your job?
2) whether you are setting up the yacht for diving, or whether you are augmenting an existing diving setup for diving in a remote region for an extended period?

How many hours a month will the compressor be running. How many filters of each type and how much compressor oil will you need based on manufacturer's recommendations. Do you have repair manuals and spare parts for the compressor and filtration system. Does the system have CO monitoring, an auto drain will make your life easier..
The compressor (s) would be my main worry. You can always grab more dive gear just about anywhere but getting parts for a specific compressor repair will be more of a challenge.

How dive intensive is this supposed to be? I believe it is common for LOBS to have dual compressors.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I should have been more specific. This is a small motor yacht and diving is not commercial just a "novelty" as someone said, the only guests will be friends of the owner and any rotating crew who is certified. I don't think we will be doing more than two dives a day and probably only a few days a week.

When I was hired, it was just as crew and as someone the owner could dive with. When I started asking questions about his dive experience and preparation for the trip it became abundantly clear to both of us that he didn't really know much about what he was doing. He is only an open water diver and sounds like he just bought a compressor and a bunch of dive equipment to take on his trip. After he realized that I at least knew a little more than him, he put me in charge of diving stuff.

I only have about a year working in the dive industry and that was as a photographer (though I am a divemaster, solo diver, and am trained as an emergency oxygen provider) on a liveaboard, which is why I came on here for advice.

Unfortunately the boat is in French Polynesia and I am in New York, so I don't have the opportunity to inspect the situation before heading to meet the boat. I have been told there is a brand new compressor, 6 tanks, and four full sets of dive equipment in various sizes all newly serviced.

The captain is ex-coast guard and an EMT and very safety conscious so things like life rafts, satellite phones, medical kits, etc are already on the boat (though I was quite concerned when he said he didn't already have an AED).

Last edited:
The compressor (s) would be my main worry. You can always grab more dive gear just about anywhere but getting parts for a specific compressor repair will be more of a challenge.

How dive intensive is this supposed to be? I believe it is common for LOBS to have dual compressors.

I agree, since we have several extra dive kits, we can probably get by until I can get any broken gear fixed/replaced since I don't have the knowledge to do anything more than switch out hoses on regs.

I agree, since we have several extra dive kits, we can probably get by until I can get any broken gear fixed/replaced since I don't have the knowledge to do anything more than switch out hoses on regs.
There are a couple of standard texts on regulator repair. At work so I can't look them up. You can pay a shop tech to show you how to take apart a regulator, not the same as being an expert, but might prove really useful if you have the spare o-rings and the few specialized tools you need.

I have been hired by a private yacht to be in charge of dive operations including getting the proper safety equipment for a one year trip around the South Pacific. All of the dive gear itself and the compressor are already on the boat, I just need safety equipment and any spares/maintenance items we may need.

Space on any yacht is limited, so you'll want to choose wisely. Here is what I would recommend for spares and tools:

1) Service parts kits for all regulators. If you are inexperienced in regulator service, or unfamiliar with the brand/model of regs in use, this would be a good time to learn. With one year of diving, scheduled annual maintenance may not be required, but you will need the kits if anything goes wrong with the regs.
2) Extra regulator mouthpieces. These are light, small, and inexpensive, and they do come off and rip, and some people seem to eat them
3) Valve service kits including burst disc assemblies and an extra stem or two.
4) Basic reg service tools and supplies: An IP gauge, O-ring picks, 1st stage holder that threads into the valve ports, tribolube, pin spanner if needed for the regs you're using
5) For BC service, an extra overpressure valve assembly, an extra inflator assembly, and some inflator parts. Standard K inflators have a replaceable cartridge for the fill button that is small, light, and cheap, and if you get a few of those and the special wrench for them, you're all set. Fancy inflators require vendor-specific parts and tools.
6) Suitable line and bungee material, if not already on board.
7) Hand tools, including allen wrenches, if not already on board.
8) A couple of spare SPG spools.
9) Spare mask straps and fin straps.
10) Wetsuit repair kit.
11) Spare nylon webbing and buckles.
12) O-rings, plenty, all sizes used for scuba.
13) Possibly an extra yoke or DIN fitting for the regs to allow a repair if a cylinder is dropped with a reg on it.

Beyond that, I wouldn't spare anything more individually. If you have room, you can bring a complete set of spare gear or major items like masks, fins, and a reg set.

Safety gear:

1) A hang tank or a regulator you can hang from a tank on the boat on a 20' hose
2) Full set of attention-getting devices for each diver: SMB, mirror, whistle, dive alert, maybe a PLB

And what about:

1) Means of securing tanks in place while stowed
2) Means of reboarding the boat while in full gear

Sharp pointy things and catch bags at your discretion

Define "small" yacht. You might get some hints here:
Diving and Seamanship

and here:
Alert Diver Online

55 ft. Oceaneer, Thanks for the thread on Diving and Seamanship, I look forward to reading it more thoroughly, but so far it seems to have a lot of great info. I have already looked at alert diver and talked to people at DAN several times, great resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom