Preparing Private Yacht for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got one set of diver friends who sailed their 46' sailboat around the world, spending a lot of time in the south Pacific, and another set of diver friends who went cruising on a Nordhavn 55 for a couple of years. Start with getting dive guide books and contact info for all the dive shops in places you are planning to visit. We've done lots of bareboat sailing charters in the south Pacific and Caribbean, and unless you have a really fast seaworthy dinghy, there are going to be lots of places you'll either never find without local knowledge or a real (shallow draft) dive boat.

You've gotten lots of good advice on spare parts. I'd suggest a couple complete spare setups, particularly for the owner and yourself, since you're going to have a hard time getting anything serviced properly there. Plus about twice the amount of repair parts, spares of everything (including computer batteries, o-rings, etc), because besides using them they are great to barter with local dive shops that can't easily get those items and are worth a fortune in the middle of nowhere

Currents can be hellacious, suddenly change, so you definitely need good emergency plans and have at least one or preferably more competent people on the boat when you're diving who can come and rescue you when you can't get back on your own. I'd get some of the new Nautilus Lifelines and make sure you have some radios on the boat that they work with, and make sure everyone understands both sides of how to use.

Make sure all the tanks are good for visual and hydro for the anticipated time you're going to be out

Plenty of lead, because it doesn't float if any falls overboard

Lots of batteries. Nothing with bulbs, only LEDs. A spare dive computer or two or three.

Plenty of big and small high visibility safety sausages, and make sure everyone knows how to use them. Preferably with spools so you can launch before surfacing so those on the boat can see where you are and track you

Plenty of filters for the compressor

Plenty of exposure protection, including gloves, booties and maybe hoods for when things get cut up on coral (better to shred neoprene on fire coral than your skin). Plus maybe some neoprene cement. Keep in mind neoprene will disintegrate faster in tropical sun than elsewhere

Since you're on a motor yacht, water shouldn't be an issue, so make sure you obsessively wash everything after every day of diving. Including tanks and valves

Plenty of line to tie things off, as well as big stainless carabiners to clip off gear in the water to your dinghy

Both flavors of that Tear-Aid stuff, lots of duct tape, cable ties, rescue tape, and maybe even some velcro tape

Tools and backups to work on everything, including tank valves

You can never be too prepared

Hangers, clips for hanging wet suits etc so they don't blow overboard. And I would want to know the contents of the medical kit - even though the captain says it is good. You want significantly more than first aid.

Learn how to read charts to locate potential dive sites - or more importantly identify sites not to dive. You will really want local knowledge but even then.

Me!

I have not dove the South Pacific but I understand the currents can get challenging. I would make sure the tender has enough motor to deal with the currents effectively, radios, and a spotter on the yacht to look for SMB's to pop up. Your boss seems to be a high net worth individual, so hiring local guides for dive spots may be the difference in great dives and tragedy.

Every diver should have a SHTF pack for if a dive goes sideways with a 6 foot reflective SMB with finger spool, signal mirror, whistle, PLB/Lifeline (older style had a Marine radio as well) and strobe. The yacht may be the only assistance for miles so the crew needs to know what to do in case of a separated diver. Everyone on board needs to work as a team either spotting, operating the tender, or maneuvering the yacht as depth will allow. Every diver needs DAN insurance, although there was a thread where air transport from the South Pacific was not a readily available option...even for DAN.

Wookie is a member of this site and I can not think of a better source of information on this topic than him. He ran a successful liveaboard for years and probably saw every type of emergency possible in that time.

Good luck, sounds like an amazing adventure, if you need a lawyer on board...feel free to send me a plane ticket!

Safe travels,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom