Prepacked canister versus packing your own SOFNOLIME

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking to move to a rebreather in the near future. One of the comparisons is a basic total ownership cost and it seems like the RBs where you can bu bulk SOFNOLIME (797) has a lower cost per use then do the prepacked. It seems like the prepacked goes for about $12 US per hour of use.

Am I missing something?

Does anyone know if the Poseidon Se7en, which their user manual talks about pre-packed, can use a bulk set-up?

From what I understand, it is more expensive but the argument is that the factory built packs won't channel or suffer other issues from packing. Don't know any more than that.

One other thing to consider is the availability of the prepacked ones when you travel.

One other thing to consider is the availability of the prepacked ones when you travel.
yeah, what he said, if you're heading overseas you might find some canisters limited in some places

Packing the canister in my Prism 2 felt like a huge deal the first few times, but it's really not a problem.

I prefer packable for price and simply pack carefully. I'll continue to at least until prepacked comes down to par in price and availability... the savings are significant if you'll be diving a lot. Also, you can find sorb easier than prepackaged when traveling.

Welcome to the dark side!
Cameron

I see on the Dive Express website that the cartridges have a stated shelf life of 2 years, while the bulk media has a life of 5 years. Why the discrepancy?

Also, if you travel overseas, do you trust the dive ops to have fresh sorb?

Im waiting for my repackable to arrive from tecme for the MK6, the prepacked are really nice but availability is always an issue at some point

Pre-packed has the advantage of being less likely to suffer from premature breakthrough or channeling. In terms of time saved, they are more convenient. Pre-packed has the disadvantage of being more expensive, with a shorter shelf life, and being more difficult to locate, especially is more austere locations (think Truk Lagoon where sorb is plentiful, but rarely pre-packed).

Packable is more convenient from a sourcing and economic standpoint. Cost per hour is less and it is generally available everywhere. However, it requires more time and skill to properly pack to avoid breakthrough, channeling, or bypass.

Pick your poison. I know how to pack a scrubber, and only one of my rebreathers even has the option to used pre-packed scrubbers, and it requires a separate fixture that isn't made any more and is like hen's teeth on the used market, therefore I pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom