Pre-rigged SMB - Acceptable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack -- IF the ADA requires the PGA to "reasonably accommodate" a professional golfer with a golf cart, why would you unequivocally state the ADA "does not apply?" GUE is a commercial organization which engages in interstate commerce -- does it not?

Now whether Michael would invoke it is a totally different issue. I'm just asking -- IS there a "reasonable accommodation" for a diver with his physical attributes?

just crickets rainman??

Some of us do not live on the internet. :dork2:

As for a contingency plan, it's pretty freakin' simple:

1) If the site is well known (Pt Lobos type dives), a "rally point" can be set as part of the pre-dive brief. A search would be to return along the route of travel toward the rally point for the "forward" diver and a brief search ahead for the "rearward" diver, then turn and head for the rally point.

2) If the site is known, items such as the navigation and major landmarks are briefed unless it falls under 1. Even new sites get briefed based on bathymetry if available.

3) If diving from a boat that is anchored, the rally point is automatically at the anchor unless some reason precludes it (anchor is deep, started deep and worked the way up the reef).

Bottom line is this: in a bunch of OW scooter tech diving, I have yet to see a situation that would call for a 100' spool. Have fun with 40 seconds of possible buddy searching in any direction while you waste time with the spool.

AG taught us to be thinking divers. The more I read from you, the more I think you have lost that and so blindly follow the decrees that there is no room for deviation even when the procedure you are following does not make sense in the context.

When I penetrate a wreck (or may accidentally penetrate, say on an exterior survey dive or dive one on a new wreck), I carry a separate safety spool from my pre-rigged SMB. If I were to dive thirds in OW tech diving, I would carry a separate safety spool. When I go for some cave training, I will have a safety spool and no SMB unless for some odd reason one would be useful at the entrance.

When I'm out on the scooter, the safety spool becomes useless, and so changes in protocol are required -- set the rally point, brief contingencies, and remain a thinking diver no matter what happens.

Have I been split up from teammates on scooter tech dives? Yes.

What happened? Well, since we all knew the navigation, the lead diver(s) returned on the path travelled and met up with the behind diver(s) as they scootered up.

Have some of our 2x team of 2 (the way to dive 4 people to a "team") been split into two separate teams of 2 each on scooter tech dives? Yes.

What happened? The pre-brief was "in the event of a split up, each primary team will continue the dive as a team of 2; we'll try to meet at Lone Metridium on the way in." That's what we did, and both teams made it back safe and sound as teams of two.

Have I been split up from teammates in low visibility OW tech dives with deco remaining? Yes.

What happened? We were returning to Whaler's Cove in 5-10' green cruddy vis (30-20' depth). My scooter decided it was time for the battery to stop. I instantly fell behind the other teammates and became "lost." Navigationally, I knew where I was. I continued to swim slowly toward the boat ramp, and when I hit 20' I switched to my O2. I stayed there for the deco since they had scooters and I was a better target if I wasn't moving. They continued to search for me, and I swam in slow circles looking for them/their lights. 20 minutes of deco later, I surfaced. They surfaced about 100 feet away a minute or two later. We reunited on the surface.

It only takes a second to get split up on a 1/2 usable tech dive, especially with scooters. In all those situations, a safety spool would have been useless. But you know what was nice?

That pre-rigged SMB I shot while I was decoing all by myself.

Think about what you are doing...and why.

I thank all of you for your posts. I hadn't responded since I was enjoying the discussions going on.

I e-mailed my instructor and this is what he says.. it answers my question:

the SMB, we do include assembling (threading) the spool as part of the skill because it build familiarity with handling line, and in both cave and tech diving, that becomes a pretty regular task.

So, I'll need to practice it for the class. And what rjack321 posted is spot on.

3) These are skills, the ADA does not apply (and I don't think Michael is particularly interested in being accomodated either)

I know it'd be "easier" if they were to accommodate me but, would I learn the most valuable lesson from it? I don't need for them (or anyone) to feel sorry for me an bend the rules. If I can't do what the standards call for then, I can't do it. Fail me, I'm fine with that. Just next time, I will do it as I'll figure out a way.

I haven't had much stop my in the past years since the lose of my arm, I'm not going to allow something this small stop my from doing what I want.

Thanks again all, I've really enjoyed reading this thread and by all means, continue on. :)

Michael

The last time I dropped 3 buddies in Lake WA they missed the wreck. The shot was essentially right next to it (as close as the sounder can read). But instead of running any line, they just decided they'd move the shot cause they "thought" they could see the wreck "right there". After 20mins of wandering around at 140ft they moved the shot about 150-175ft from the wreck and saw mud and a stick or two. Here's the dive on a typical day.
http://www.nickambrose.com/diving/movies/harpoon-lakewa.mov

Last time I tech dove in Puget Sound, these were our conditions
http://www.nickambrose.com/diving/movies/2008-11-seattle-MT6.mov
As you can see:
40+ft vis above 140ft
6, maybe 8ft at 200ft

Hell yes, I'm bringing a spare spool to search with for these dives (and many but not all others). And btw Joe and Andrew are the ones who advised a safety spool for these kinds of 1/2 of usable "overheads" in my Tech1.

If you are getting seperated and doing 20mins of O2 deco solo you need to backup in your diving IMO. That's all I can say about your contingencies since there aren't any.

Some of us do not live on the internet. :dork2:

As for a contingency plan, it's pretty freakin' simple:

1) If the site is well known (Pt Lobos type dives), a "rally point" can be set as part of the pre-dive brief. A search would be to return along the route of travel toward the rally point for the "forward" diver and a brief search ahead for the "rearward" diver, then turn and head for the rally point.

2) If the site is known, items such as the navigation and major landmarks are briefed unless it falls under 1. Even new sites get briefed based on bathymetry if available.

3) If diving from a boat that is anchored, the rally point is automatically at the anchor unless some reason precludes it (anchor is deep, started deep and worked the way up the reef).

Bottom line is this: in a bunch of OW scooter tech diving, I have yet to see a situation that would call for a 100' spool. Have fun with 40 seconds of possible buddy searching in any direction while you waste time with the spool.

AG taught us to be thinking divers. The more I read from you, the more I think you have lost that and so blindly follow the decrees that there is no room for deviation even when the procedure you are following does not make sense in the context.

When I penetrate a wreck (or may accidentally penetrate, say on an exterior survey dive or dive one on a new wreck), I carry a separate safety spool from my pre-rigged SMB. If I were to dive thirds in OW tech diving, I would carry a separate safety spool. When I go for some cave training, I will have a safety spool and no SMB unless for some odd reason one would be useful at the entrance.

When I'm out on the scooter, the safety spool becomes useless, and so changes in protocol are required -- set the rally point, brief contingencies, and remain a thinking diver no matter what happens.

Have I been split up from teammates on scooter tech dives? Yes.

What happened? Well, since we all knew the navigation, the lead diver(s) returned on the path travelled and met up with the behind diver(s) as they scootered up.

Have some of our 2x team of 2 (the way to dive 4 people to a "team") been split into two separate teams of 2 each on scooter tech dives? Yes.

What happened? The pre-brief was "in the event of a split up, each primary team will continue the dive as a team of 2; we'll try to meet at Lone Metridium on the way in." That's what we did, and both teams made it back safe and sound as teams of two.

Have I been split up from teammates in low visibility OW tech dives with deco remaining? Yes.

What happened? We were returning to Whaler's Cove in 5-10' green cruddy vis (30-20' depth). My scooter decided it was time for the battery to stop. I instantly fell behind the other teammates and became "lost." Navigationally, I knew where I was. I continued to swim slowly toward the boat ramp, and when I hit 20' I switched to my O2. I stayed there for the deco since they had scooters and I was a better target if I wasn't moving. They continued to search for me, and I swam in slow circles looking for them/their lights. 20 minutes of deco later, I surfaced. They surfaced about 100 feet away a minute or two later. We reunited on the surface.

It only takes a second to get split up on a 1/2 usable tech dive, especially with scooters. In all those situations, a safety spool would have been useless. But you know what was nice?

That pre-rigged SMB I shot while I was decoing all by myself.

Think about what you are doing...and why.

I have video of how I'll thread the spool line through the dring of the SMB. I see my issue now is clipping the double ender back onto the spool after I deploy the SMB.

Also, I'll have to try it in the water but, looks like recovering my reg as the SMB floats up will be an issue.

Oh well, one down, many more to go. :)

Ohh, the video is here:

Another attempt at a SMB deployment. on Vimeo

(Bad quality and make sure you look at the others as well.)

Michael

I have video of how I'll thread the spool line through the dring of the SMB. I see my issue now is clipping the double ender back onto the spool after I deploy the SMB.

Also, I'll have to try it in the water but, looks like recovering my reg as the SMB floats up will be an issue.

Ohh, the video is here:

Michael

Man, that was awesome....no way in hell I can do that with one hand!

Ohh, the video is here:

Michael

man you are an inspiration.

what if you left the double-ender on the line (not the spool) when you shot the bag so that the line moves thru the gate of the double-ender as the bag ascends. when the bag hits the surface you just have to work the gate over a hole in the spool and the double ender is clipped off.

clear as mud?

Nice tree.

:wink:

My fundies instructor was constantly teaching that all skills you perform during the class are TEAM skills. He encouraged us to let our team help us. I had a tendency to try to solve all the problems by myself, and on my own. Instead of letting my buddy hold something for me, I would fumble around with too much in my hands and run the risk of dropping something. He actually encouraged me to hand off the SMB after deploying it, so I could get my spool more easily. He even said it is okay to let them hold onto it while you thread the SMB.

My point is, don't be afraid to let your team help you with some things, especially if their help will make things easier and less risky. This was the biggest take home lesson for my wife and I during the whole class.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom