Pre-rigged SMB - Acceptable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can't for the life of me find the posts (forget which board) that a finger spool can be clipped a certain way so the bolt snap doesn't roll off. I believe Lynne (or someone) had posted a link to another forum showing how someone ran their spool's loop through a hole on the spool and then clipped the line to another hole with the double ender.

Well, with the talks about how I might deploy a SMB under water and whether or not I should have it pre-rigged or not, I think I figured out pre-rigged the best way.

So I spent a good twenty minutes or so looking at my SMB, finger spool and double ender. Wrapped it this way, that way and many other ways. The link that was provided in the phantom post (as described above) really helped me figure out how I am going to do this.

As you can see, I pre-rigged the line through the SS eye and tightened it up. I then pass the two lines (in the loop) through one of the holes in the spool and clipped the line with the double ender to one of the holes of the spool. This way the double ender doesn't roll off and if it was to roll off, the double ender snap would hopefully stay on the line and it would only be lose and not unwind the line.

Then if it tried to unwind, it'd look something like this.

Hopefully I'm not repeating something already known, if I am, I apologize. I just want to figure out something so I can be safer for my team.

I have yet to try it in the water but, I plan to go diving the Dec 6th and 7th. I'll add a report here in this thread about how it goes. Maybe a video too.

Michael

if you're taking DIRF, you need to be able to rig a spool to a bag underwater by yourself.

if you are beyond that, then pre-rigged spools are fine.

if you are beyond that, then pre-rigged spools are fine.

Its easier to pre-rig a spool/SMB on OW dives. But on a deco dive where you can't surface to look for your buddy, you need to bring along a 2nd spool if pre-rigging. Something to do a lost buddy search with.

Its easier to pre-rig a spool/SMB on OW dives. But on a deco dive where you can't surface to look for your buddy, you need to bring along a 2nd spool if pre-rigging. Something to do a lost buddy search with.

A spool isn't going to do much good on a scooter deco dive with buddy separation.

Well, it would have to be a really, really big spool.

Is this a joke?

Gotta be. Besides, you can un-rig (de-rig?) the spool from the smb. I did it yesterday in about 15 seconds.

Is this a joke?

You're in an "overhead", you got another option? Same rationale why we carry a "safety spool" available and not dedicated to any other use on cave dives. Lost line, lost buddy, and broken line situations.

You're in an "overhead", you got another option? Same rationale why we carry a "safety spool" available and not dedicated to any other use on cave dives. Lost line, lost buddy, and broken line situations.

So, you're only diving thirds on your deco dives then?

I don't know about the PNW, but in MoCal I cannot see a legit use for a safety spool in a "lost buddy" situation.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom