Techniques for boat diving without surface support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better to think it extremely stupid and stay safe than to engage in it unprepared.
As a boat owner and diver, I would just never dive off a boat that was left unattended. It’s irresponsible and I would hope emergency services would not be deployed to rescue any fools who might engage in such behavior (though I realize they would).

Depends on the site, I've done perhaps 400 untended boat dives off my RIB. Another trick you can use/consider is to set a shot line on your target, anchor inshore in shallow water, scooter out to the shot line and drop. Do your dive then scooter upslope back to the vicinity of your anchor and do your safety stops. Surface and surface scooter back to the boat.
Why not just go up and down the anchor line?

Making a dive plan that places your safe return contingent upon the functioning of a scooter, seems to be adding risk and complexity with little benefit?

Well, I did dive from a non attended boat many times but I wouldn't anymore just because of the theft/vandalism potential. My girlfriend and I even drift dove hanging onto lines underneath the empty boat drifting down the Rainbow River to the Withlacootchee. . (We stopped that though after the boat bumped into a tree branch and a whole nest of Water Moccasins fell into the boat)

Uh oh, The Voice of Authority has joined the chat :rofl3:
No authority at all - just perspective on leaving a boat unattended on the surface… unfortunately, in my experience (and as evidenced here), many boaters do dumb things.

I see no real problem with leaving the dive boat unattended as long as certain conditions are met. Those who say it should never be done are probably right....for their areas and level of experience. In other areas, it's perfectly fine. In some areas, it's easy to see the boat from the bottom. Honestly, nowadays I would worry to much about theft and vandalism to leave the boat alone but each to his own.

Why not just go up and down the anchor line?

Making a dive plan that places your safe return contingent upon the functioning of a scooter, seems to be adding risk and complexity with little benefit?
Because: 1) the site might be too deep or too steep of a slope to reasonably anchor and 2) putting anchors on potentially delicate wrecks or on sensitive reefs is heavily frowned upon. Or getting the anchor perma-snagged on them, or the line wrapping around parts etc etc

Depends on the site, I've done perhaps 400 untended boat dives off my RIB. Another trick you can use/consider is to set a shot line on your target, anchor inshore in shallow water, scooter out to the shot line and drop. Do your dive then scooter upslope back to the vicinity of your anchor and do your safety stops. Surface and surface scooter back to the boat.
Thanks there’s a few sites that would work for me, I can think of a few offshore islands where there’s very large boulders I wouldn’t like to try anchoring in, but I could on the leeward side and use my scooter. I’d also be anchoring in the shelter of the island.

I don’t believe anyone would leave a boat unattended and go diving without thinking about the risks. When I slip over the side it’s always in the back of my mind the boat, ( and my only way home) is empty. But I do everything to make sure I don’t get separated from it or can still make it ashore. Within a mile of the shore it’s easy. And offshore I stay on a reel to the anchor line or in very good conditions in sight of my strobe with the anchor tied in. I’d just like a pop up diver that would say something when a curious boater came on my empty boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom