Techniques for boat diving without surface support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove solo from my boat for more than thirty years , ripping currents and boat traffic are some concern . Solo deco diving in the shipping lanes may be the past so make a plan do the dive be safe and sound . Rumdumb

What is there to see in the shipping lanes, serious question….

I could imagine a tanker crushing your boat like a bug while you are down there and not even knowing.

A big cord reel clipped to your anchor line should I suggest . This is some of the kind this old man has and not from any dive store . Be safe and kind Rumdumb

I could imagine a tanker crushing your boat like a bug while you are down there and not even knowing.

It's a concern but they do have good radar.

Actually one of the local dive boat captains told me that if you are diving in the approaches to LA harbor you can contact LA shipping traffic control with your coordinates and they will put an exclusion zone around your boat. I have not tried this yet...

It's a concern but they do have good radar.

Actually one of the local dive boat captains told me that if you are diving in the approaches to LA harbor you can contact LA shipping traffic control with your coordinates and they will put an exclusion zone around your boat. I have not tried this yet...
After a recent live aboard trip I am way more active on the radio either making a blind call to the area when we are about to start dive operations… or calling boats that are coming towards us, but still too far away to really see us to let them know what we are doing.

All have been friendly.

80 miles offshore from an unattended boat. No amount of electronics makes that a good idea. If you can afford your own boat and gas to drive out that far, you can damn sure afford to pay some drunk to stay conscious for an hour while you are down.

I saw a friend's boat at a local shipwreck site one day. He had someone remain onboard while he and a buddy dived the wreck. The guy onboard was guzzling a bottle of liquor and could barely stand up when I stopped next to the boat.

Too much wake?

red_october_ships_graveyard_map.jpg

All the wreck diving outside Port Philip Heads down to 100m, is based around the huge ships timetable
We had one late prick sue the operator for cutting his deco short as a container ship was bearing down
His next trick was to leave his buddy in a cave who died

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom