Possible Coz trip in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go to Cozumel every year for 1 to 2 weeks right before Christmas. We always stay at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Weather is variable. Some years it is warm and sunny, some years it is cool and rainy the entire time.

I dive with a 3mm wetsuit and hood. Water temp is 78-80 degrees at the surface, 78-80 degrees at 100 feet. Usually I dive 4 times per day: 2 morning boat dives, an afternoon shore dive and a night shore dive.

When the weather is warm I am fine in a 3mm. When the weather is cool I get cold after repetitive dives. Sometimes the night dives get chilly.

Be careful which dive operator you choose. Some ops use small fast boats. These are great for getting you to the dive site quickly. But you'll get soaked on the way to the dive site. When the weather is cool, you'll get soaked AND cold. (If you plan to be in a hurry when you get to Cozumel then just stay home.)

I prefer the larger boats with more protection from the elements. They are slower, but if the sun is out I relax and sleep in the sunshine. If the weather is bad at least I have a place to hunker down out of the wind and rain. I can't tell you how many times we laughed at other divers zipping by in fast, open boats in terrible weather. They were getting creamed by the spray and rain, and we were warm and dry.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I think so far all the ops I'm looking at are the smaler 6-pack boats. Do you have suggestions for a larger boat?

Thanks for the advice. I think so far all the ops I'm looking at are the smaler 6-pack boats. Do you have suggestions for a larger boat?

If the larger boats is the way you want to go, Dive Paradise is one of the oldest dive ops on the island, and they run mostly larger boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom