Possible Coz trip in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like I may go to Coz just after Christmas with the family... I may be the only diver, though my sister's boyfriend, who is also a diver, would like to come too.

What are the water temps like at that time of year? When I was in the Keys in December, the temps were in the low 70's, and I was a bit chilly in my 3/2mm Bare wetsuit, so I'd like to know if I should get a vest to put over it.

What is a good op to go with? Recommended dives? Are there good Cenotes on Coz, or do you have to go to the mainland for those?

Hope I can get the time off approved at work, I really need a good warm water trip, though the water up here in Alaska is getting "warm", like low 50's!!

Brian

Edit: I suppose I 'ought to read the sticky thread first, eh? :wink:

The last few years I've been down in early Dec and then again Feb or March. Water temps have ranged approx 78-80. Air temps are upper 80's to low 90's with no real humidity. Evenings go down to the lower 70s.

Nov-April there is always a chance of getting a norte. If one comes through it will cool right off and bet windy and rainy. They can last for a day or several days. A norte doesn't always close the port or keep it closed for the whole day, it all depends on the wind direction.

I always go down for Martin Luther King day weekend (third Monday of Jan.) I am also usually a solo and have no problem going with my operator. Water temps are 78-80 I wear a 3m shorty and am fine, but I have an excess of natural insulation. This year I will be diving Jan 17-21 and another diver will be down with me. Cenotes are on the mainland.

I use www.Bottomtimedivers.net Raul is owner/operator/dive master/do everything for you. Real great guy. He has a 6 pack and we decide where to go each morning on the boat. We dive our computers and air so nice long bottom times. If for some reason Raul is booked up or he only has 1 diver he calls other ops that do great jobs to place you with them. He keeps your gear so you don't lug it all week.

Here are the other ops that I am comfortable with as I know their operations or their dive masters and have been their customer in the past.

Liquid Blue -- Steal tanks -- slightly more expensive
Living underwater -- Steal tanks -- slightly more expensive
Blue XT Sea

Many other good ops on the island you have to decide what you want. These are my favorites.

Looks like I may go to Coz just after Christmas with the family... I may be the only diver, though my sister's boyfriend, who is also a diver, would like to come too.

What are the water temps like at that time of year? When I was in the Keys in December, the temps were in the low 70's, and I was a bit chilly in my 3/2mm Bare wetsuit, so I'd like to know if I should get a vest to put over it.

What is a good op to go with? Recommended dives? Are there good Cenotes on Coz, or do you have to go to the mainland for those?

Hope I can get the time off approved at work, I really need a good warm water trip, though the water up here in Alaska is getting "warm", like low 50's!!

Brian

Edit: I suppose I 'ought to read the sticky thread first, eh? :wink:

There are no cenotes on Cozumel accessible to divers who are not cave trained; you have to go to the mainland for that. It's easily done, though.

Water temps are 78-80 I wear a 3m shorty and am fine
:D I start with a 5mm full suit, then by day 3 I've added my neoprene socks and a core warmer.

I learned very early-on in my diving to not ask, "what wetsuit should I wear?" but instead, "what's the water temp?"

Any recommendations on places to stay for 5-6 adults (1-2 of which are divers)? I think my dad was looking at a place called Paradise Condos, or something like that. It would be a group of adults, no kids.

P.S. Doesn't need to be fancy, just nice and clean, and affordable!

Any recommendations on places to stay for 5-6 adults (1-2 of which are divers)? I think my dad was looking at a place called Paradise Condos, or something like that. It would be a group of adults, no kids.

P.S. Doesn't need to be fancy, just nice and clean, and affordable

List what you want by way of amenities ie. pool, walk to town, on the water, beach etc. and we all will be able to give you some suggestions. There are all kinds of places we can tell you about!

All of that! My grandmother will be with us, and she likes to have a pool, and I think the rest of the non diving family would like to have a beach and other things to do nearby.

Brian

OK real quick,
No frills budget hotel but --Pool, AC, TV, mini fridge, man made sandy area on the water--

Barracuda Hotel -- at the south end of town walk to everything,might be noisy 11am4pm as crew from cruise ships hang at pool and bar.

Caribe Blue-- 15 min walk or $3 taxi to town much more relaxed than Barracuda same amenities very quiet.

Villablanca -- same as Caribe blue but Island side of street. Beach is all rock.

Larger resort type hotels-- not luxury

Hotel Cozumel --you can do AI or not, 10 min walk to town
Scuba Club Cozumel, 10 min walk to town
El Cid La Ceba $5 cab ride
Park Royal $5 cab
Fiesta Americana AI or not $7 cab

Several AI farther south

Luxury --
Palace
El Cantel condos -- both south end of town right on water man made sand area and pools.

Several homes and condo's --check several dive shop web sites---they make deals with many hotels, condos, private homes.

Also try www.vrbo.com for both timeshares and condo rentals.

BTW private homes for rent that advertise pool are for the most part very small just a bit larger than large hot tubs, so if you want to swim stay with large condo complex or Hotels. Hotel Cozumel has the largest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom