Possible Coz trip in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The condo unit my dad found was quoted as $2,100/week + tax. Good deal? It's 3 bed/2 bath, right on the beach, and has a pool.

Those were built about a 18 months ago. From the sea they look very nice. It is about $12 cab ride to town from there. The national park is to the south and closes late afternoon so it will be very quiet there in the evenings. I saw some listings on VRBO for the same complex that ran 17-1800 a week so 2100 is in the ball park. Most dive shops can pick you up right on the beach since you are south of the harbor and the boats go south for the best diving.

I like www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul has a small 6 pack so you are not on a cattle boat. He also would pick you up about 8:30 since he leaves about 30 min latter than most, you get to either sleep in or have a leisurely breakfast before diving.

I just got an email from them today, looks like my dad already booked it (they're having stuff emailed to me since they're up visiting and don't have access to their email). So hopefully I get approved for leave at work!

Guess I'll start looking at dive ops now. Which ones offer daytrips to dive the Cenotes?

Also, is it best to rent a car, or just take cabs? I saw you could rent mopeds too. My dad booked it for 13 nights... I think if they're there that long, my mom and dad better take some diving lessons! :wink:

I just got an email from them today, looks like my dad already booked it (they're having stuff emailed to me since they're up visiting and don't have access to their email). So hopefully I get approved for leave at work!

Guess I'll start looking at dive ops now. Which ones offer daytrips to dive the Cenotes?

Also, is it best to rent a car, or just take cabs? I saw you could rent mopeds too. My dad booked it for 13 nights... I think if they're there that long, my mom and dad better take some diving lessons! :wink:

Cabs are plentiful and fairly cheap; the only car rental I do on the island is for the around the island excursion, which I highly recommend. I do NOT recommend renting a "moped" (they are small wheeled scooters, actually) unless you own one and drive it every day. Moped accidents are the single greatest source of injuries to gringos on Cozumel. They are deceptively easy to drive, but getting out of a situation on one is not so easy; something as seemingly innocuous as running over a patch of sand can send you flying. My dentist was killed on a rented moped in Mexico, as was the son of a friend of mine, and my brother put one in a ditch and had to go to the emergency room for stitches.

Lots of Coz dive ops offer cenote trips. Blue Angel, for one, does.

Guess I'll start looking at dive ops now. Which ones offer day trips to dive the Cenotes?

Do not rent scooters!!!!!! I have a motorcycle and would not think of scooters in Cozumel. They are OK out of town if you know all the road hazards but otherwise the influx of cruise ship people renting jeeps and the cabs all over the place you will get hurt. Cozumel has few stop signs, north/south streets have right of way and nobody obeys the speed limit. East west streets must stop at each intersection even though no signs, tourist forget these rules and BINGO the scooter is always the one getting hit

Renting a car is preferred to scooter "but" same deal on street smart driving. You will see some rates as low as $10 a day. Be carefully and read the fine print. You must get at minimum the liability insurance it is mandatory by regulation. $11 per day last year. Optional damage waiver and collision is about $25 a day with $1000 deductible. BTW if you don't get the optional and get into an accident you will not be allowed to leave the island until all debts are settled.
American insurance is not accepted so don't think your home policy protects you.

Combine your trips to sightsee, souvenir hunt, grocery shop and take a cab. Safer and peace of mind. Do rent a car 1 day to drive around the island road and visit some of the little cantinas on the east side. Coconuts has a great view of the east coast.

BTW plan on all day for cenote dives -- you have to do a 2 hour briefing on the do and don't of cenote diving if you go with a reputable op.

East west streets must stop at each intersection even though no signs...

Actually, the signs are there, they just say "ALTO" instead of "STOP". ;^)

But seriously, they are there, they are just small and washed out.

I dove in Coz Chiristmas Season in 2005 and water temp was 25C-27.8C/77-82F. So please check again when you pack your wetsuit. And I think there are no Cenotes for recreational divers, but so many caves in Palancar area...

... I think there are no Cenotes for recreational divers, but so many caves in Palancar area...

I believe that you are correct about there being no cenote rec diving on the island, but he was looking for day trips to the mainland for cenote diving, not on the island.

Ok, so no go on the scooter, and rely on cabs to get around except when you go around the island... got it!

Suggestions on what to do for the non divers (everyone but me)... spend time on the beach, shop around town, see the ruins... ?

but he was looking for day trips to the mainland for cenote diving, not on the island.

auauau...Thanks for your comment and help.

Suggestions on what to do for the non divers (everyone but me)... spend time on the beach, shop around town, see the ruins... ?

Beach is very beautiful. so nice to spend much time there. Shopping...last time I bought an silver accessory which my name was carved in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom