Possible Coz trip in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bumping this thread up again. My dad canceled the reservation at the original condo he had reserved, and went with a place called Residencias Reef in Cozumel, apparently about a 15 minute drive from town (not sure if it's north or south of town though), and also has decided to split the trip between a week on Cozumel, and a week at a place in Akumal. So my plan now is to probably sign up for a 4-5 day package with one of the Cozumel operators, then wait for Akumal to do the Cenotes. Are there good ops out of Akumal or should I be looking at Playa del Carmen or Cancun?

Of course, this all is pending on my leave request actually being approved! :wink:

Bumping this thread up again. My dad canceled the reservation at the original condo he had reserved, and went with a place called Residencias Reef in Cozumel, apparently about a 15 minute drive from town (not sure if it's north or south of town though), and also has decided to split the trip between a week on Cozumel, and a week at a place in Akumal. So my plan now is to probably sign up for a 4-5 day package with one of the Cozumel operators, then wait for Akumal to do the Cenotes. Are there good ops out of Akumal or should I be looking at Playa del Carmen or Cancun?

Of course, this all is pending on my leave request actually being approved! :wink:

Welcome to Residencias Reef Cozumel Mexico

It's south of town.

In case Gordon and Lou did not make it clear - Do Not rent a moped/scooter on Cozumel.

The mainland around Puerto Aventuras/Playa del Carmen also has a few great dive sites aside from the cenotes. Tortugas and Barracuda are two that left a lasting impression in my mind. We saw over 40 turtles one day at Tortugas.

Have a great trip!

I know someone somewhere on this forum recommended a must buy map of the island, anyone care to remind me what that is? I'd like something that will make it easy for me to find where the dive outfit I'll be going with is since I'll have to drive up from the condo every morning... looking at a map it looks like the condo we're at is about 8-10 miles out of town?

No scooters, but hopefully an economical rental car. How's parking in town?

Parking sucks, the only way to park is to stay in a pay lot. You will have to locate the dive shop and ask were you can legally park. Now I think the parking is 500 peso's and the city love's it. The police tow truck accompanied by 2 moto cops tow all day. Whats the dive shop?

HUH?....cozumelmx--what are you talking about?....a fine?........because parking lots charge between 8-10 pesos an hour, just so we are clear----- and bdshort, why are you planning to drive to town when you can have your dive op pick you up each day right at your condos?..........There is no reason to do that. At the very least, if you can't get picked up and I don't know why that would be, you could also drive to the marina which is between your place and town and park there for free...........I apologize if I've missed something here...........Betsy

Reef Residence are south of town at the 14kilometer marker. $15 cab ride to town. depending on the operator you chose they will pick you up on the beach or have you walk 100 yards north and use the long wooden pier in front of Aura Hotel next door. Anything bigger than a small 6-pack will have to be on the pier. I think the dive shop that Aura uses now charges $2 per person to use their pier.
If you plan on going to town often then rent a car. Ace car rental on the net contracts with Executive Car rental in Cozumel. They have lower daily rates Than Executive but make sure you get the insurance. Any rental make sure you check for scratches, dents, broken lens, windows work, spare tire and Jack. and mark any defects on the contract.

Ok, thanks a bunch for the replies. I didn't realize the ops would be able to pick up at the condo, as I just saw a beach in front of it. I'm thinking I'll be going with one of the 6-pack operators, I just don't know which one yet... Aldora or Blue XT Sea or Living Underwater or Liquid Blue are on the short list. I'm glad to know I won't have to drive to town at least, if they aren't able to pick up at the condo.

My dad was going to go through Hertz for a rental car (there are going to be 6 of us but only 2 divers). Is Ace/Executive cheaper?

Ok, so no go on the scooter, and rely on cabs to get around except when you go around the island... got it!

Suggestions on what to do for the non divers (everyone but me)... spend time on the beach, shop around town, see the ruins... ?

There is a good post on this thread, post #3. It has links to Doc Vikingo's Things to Do in Cozumel and some other good links.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/241542-first-cozumel-trip-suggestions-tips-welcome.html

Looks like you are going to be there long enough to have a great time on the island and the mainland too. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom