pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
and when I get stuck with a bad buddy, I don't have to watch my backup gas swim away like a like R. Kelly chasing after the Olsen twins.

That's got to be the funniest thing I've read in this thread. Just one simple question though...aren't the Olsen twins a little old for his tastes?

JeffG:
So a small leak in the pony that is not detected (because you can't see it) is the fault of the practice of the diver? Could it not just be an inherit flaw in the setup?

Why can't it be seen? Even hard mounted, an SPG makes it visible. And slung, with an SPG, it is easier to moniter its status than your back gas. I get tired of having to roll over to judge how bad that rented tank is leaking.

Soggy:
Who is selling something?

I'm definitely not selling anything. I'm arguing on the internet because I'm procrastinating trying to figure out why openssh is vapor locking on our x86/64 RHEL3 installs...

Have you ever noticed how whenever you're on the "DIR side" of a debate that the other side always tries to psychoanalyze your motives?

awap:
Why can't it be seen? Even hard mounted, an SPG makes it visible. And slung, with an SPG, it is easier to moniter its status than your back gas. I get tired of having to roll over to judge how bad that rented tank is leaking.
Back mounted ponies have that issue, not slung ponies.

(In real life, I have only seen the back mounted type, even though on SB it seems there are lots of the "Slung" type...but I do not consider my view statistically significant.)

lamont:
Have you ever noticed how whenever you're on the "DIR side" of a debate that the other side always tries to psychoanalyze your motives?
Its their fear of the Kool aid...Fear rules their lives (thats why they carry ponies) :wink:

JeffG:
So a small leak in the pony that is not detected (because you can't see it) is the fault of the practice of the diver? Could it not just be an inherit flaw in the setup?

No more than a reg on anything is a flaw.

mnj1233:
Seriously!! Have you or anyone elese here ever been thru a TRUE FREE-FLOW???

Yes.

awap:

Actually the leak I was talking about earlier was a water leak in through the exhaust valve due to the reg being crushed under a tank. It got worse with depth so that I couldn't tell it was breathing wet at the surface, but at 40 fsw it was bad and at 100 fsw it probably would not have been usable at all. The good thing is that I go on my backup at some depth frequently enough that I caught it after probably only a dive or two. Since it passed pre-flight checks at the surface I'm not sure how to fix this problem other than making going on the backup for at least a few breaths at depth part of every plan.

The point is, though, that if you never use your pony at depth because it isn't part of the gas plan, then you have no idea if it works or not.

Soggy:
Who is selling something? I've got some SPGs for sale...and a set of turtle fins...and a couple J-valves. In fact, buy an SPG and I'll throw in a J-valve for free!
I already bought an SPG from you. It's real shiney and works too :D Sorry, but I have my own JETS and already have a J-valve on my "pony" :11: Just kidding, it's on my 72 and that one's getting changed out soon.

lamont:
I'm definitely not selling anything. I'm arguing on the internet because I'm procrastinating trying to figure out why openssh is vapor locking on our x86/64 RHEL3 installs...

The point is that often the comments aren't coming from the other side. They're usually coming from the middle but because lines are being drawn it's always portrayed as the other side:05:

Let's face it some people are just more anal than other's. If you're an engineer it's a good trait for your job. If you're a writer being anal probably doesn't help your creativity.

For Cave/Wreck diving you would find very little comments coming from the other side because there probably wouldn't be an other side. There wouldn't be a need to use extreme or contorted logic to make every point as there is when taking tech methods and moving them to the rec world and and not allowing for any deviation. It's 100% compliant or your on the other side:05:

Some people just don't like to join groups, any groups. Or to quote group leaders or to have to check in with someone to see how the group is thinking this month.

Again, why have to try so hard to convince others that you have the only answer. It's not particularly effective when it's the Jehova Witnesses at my front door and it doesn't really work well for any other group that I can think of. The real message gets lost because of the way the messge is delievered.:05:

For what it's worth I dive with a BP/W, Jetfins with springs, long hose but it's 40", necklaced second. I don't use a 7' hose. I do use light signals when they work but I use a Light Cannon. I do value buddy skills but most of my buddies aren't as good in that respect as most of yours. I do use a pony bottle and occassionaly solo dive to take pictures, get used to new gear (depending on the gear).

There's no reason for me to be other the other side. I'm in the middle. I don't like group mentality so I'll always be somewhere in the middle. No everyone is like me and that's why we have different diving styles but it's not necessary to bolster one side's argument by drawing lines and making it us against them. Labels don't work in politics because people are people and everyone wants the same things more or less. Labels just divide. Divers are divers and all want to be safe and all want to enjoy diving.

Gray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom