pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnj1233:
Second time Ive done this but here goes, This is the original thread question. How many feel silly reading this then reading thier posts??????
None. What we are doing is informing our fellow diver that instead of spending money, he can solve his problems with procedural methods.

mnj1233:
Ya know if you wanna discuss all the other stuff just start a different thread, this guy asked two questions. Answer him/her or move on.
Who died that made you the thread police?

mnj1233:
Ya know if you wanna discuss all the other stuff just start a different thread, this guy asked two questions. Answer him/her or move on.
While I think using doubles or a large single tank with an H-Valve is a better solution than a pony tank in a lot of situations, if you must use one determine what size really will bail you out of most situations/depths that you will encounter. For most people a 19cf is too small. Here is a link to a spreadsheet for determining what size fits you best:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1361922&postcount=16

Also if you are going to use a pony, sling it. Nasty things can happen when the pony is back mounted and begins to leak without your knowledge:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=74063 (Sorry Don)

The important thing to remember is that the pony doesn't magically solve problems for you or allow you to do things you wouldn't do without it.

lamont:
Actually the leak I was talking about earlier was a water leak in through the exhaust valve due to the reg being crushed under a tank. It got worse with depth so that I couldn't tell it was breathing wet at the surface, but at 40 fsw it was bad and at 100 fsw it probably would not have been usable at all. The good thing is that I go on my backup at some depth frequently enough that I caught it after probably only a dive or two. Since it passed pre-flight checks at the surface I'm not sure how to fix this problem other than making going on the backup for at least a few breaths at depth part of every plan.

The point is, though, that if you never use your pony at depth because it isn't part of the gas plan, then you have no idea if it works or not.

I guess your preflight did not include attempting to breath on it before you opened the valve. Unfortunately, mine usually doesn't either. And if you had no reason to suspect such damage, I can see how that one would be easily missed. Most of my 2nds are metal but there is always the possibility of an exhaust valve or diaphram problem. (I often wondered why the DIR approach doesn't favor metal bodied 2nds over those plastic things.)

OTOH, your scenario is still not an SOL problem. A little careful purging and breathing techniques taught in BOW should still get you to the surface, even from 100 ft. Rest stop and recommended ascent rates be damned.

But thanks. I will have to rethink my pony prep procedures. And I do occasionally test my pony at depth as I built a crossover hose so I can top it off between dives.

mnj1233:

I think docmojo got his answers ... and a lot more useful information at no extra cost. There are plenty of situations where a pony is basically useless baggage.

awap:
I think docmojo got his answers ... and a lot more useful information at no extra cost. There are plenty of situations where a pony is basically useless baggage.

Yes, I think everyone should go straight to sidemount cylinders! Its the safest way to dive!

O-did I say the I sold the Armadillo Sidemount harness, only $550.00 :)

A little self sales promotion.....

Curt Bowen:
Yes, I think everyone should go straight to sidemount cylinders! Its the safest way to dive!

O-did I say the I sold the Armadillo Sidemount harness, only $550.00 :)

A little self sales promotion.....

Got any pictures? Sounds like a good DIY project.:D

awap:
I guess your preflight did not include attempting to breath on it before you opened the valve. Unfortunately, mine usually doesn't either.

Nope mine doesn't include that one. And you're correct that free-flowing it and sipping off of it would have worked no matter the depth... I should practice that again since I haven't done it since BOW and it never occured to me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom