pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmojo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been thinking about getting a redundant system for diving. I am think about the 13cf or the 19cf. I would strap these to my main tank. Any input would be helpful. Also if anyone has the knowledge.... about how much time can one get from these pony bottles. I know it depends on the person but a close guess would help.
Thanks in advance for your help..:D

I thought about getting a pony bottle but was talked out of it by mu scuba instructor (I had private lessons) because it only gives you a false sense of security. Proper gas management and constantly checking your guages will prevent you from running out of air. If a rare occasion occured where you developed a leaking cylinder, your buddy should have enough air to get you safely to the surface. The suggestion my instructor gave to me was to follow the rule of 3rds. Use 1/3 or your air supply getting to whatever you are diving for, 1/3 to get back to the anchor line and shore and 1/3 as a back up. If you want a longer dive time, make sure you plan your dive and gas management to exit the water with no less than 500 psi in your tank. Just some advice given to me by my instructor (and all of the trade magazines and books I've read).

A pony is not IMO a false sense of security if used appropriately. Redundancy is what it is. Carrying a pony is not intended to extend a dive but rather to serve as a air supply if needed for an unanticipated stop. As far as how long it will last well think of a 19cf pony as a 1/4 tank (80 lb alum). How long can you dive on 650-700lbs????
P.S. The air in the pony is not the only redundancy, You have an additional independent regulator to turn to if needed. Remember your OCTO is not independent but shares the first stage you may be having issues with.

You're gonna get a lot of responses here, but I have no problem with diving a pony, AS LONG as you know what/how/why. You should be able to calculate, using your SAC, the required pony bottle size to reach the surface using the correct ascent rate and safety stop. In addition, you should be able to quickly detach your pony mount in case your buddy is OOA and you want to pass off your pony. You should be able to reach your pony valve and feel comfortable with turning off/on in the water (freeflows). You should never use the pony to extend your bottom time, nor should you ever pony up to mask inadequate gas planning. The pony bottle is a fully redundant system for rec diving at rec depths and should not be deployed unless you can look back and honestly call the situation an "emergency."

If you can honestly answer the above quesitons with confidence and are willing to adhere to the correct rules, a pony is a valid investment. If not, reconsider your intentions and think about more training, doubles, or a better buddy.

I use a pony bottle all the time, as it is requird on the boats I dive off. 2 tours is correct though, nothing replaces proper gas management, however, a pony would be most useful in those circumstances you can't imagine would happen. If your diving in exceptional viz and maintain constant buddy contact than your redundant air source is the tank on your buddie's back. If you dive low viz then the only person you can count on in an emergency is yourself than a pony is a wise investment. Regarding size I would say nothing less than a 30, there was a thread not too long ago about the topic which would provide additional viewpoints.

docmojo:
I have been thinking about getting a redundant system for diving. I am think about the 13cf or the 19cf. I would strap these to my main tank. Any input would be helpful. Also if anyone has the knowledge.... about how much time can one get from these pony bottles. I know it depends on the person but a close guess would help.
1. IMO, the decision to use a bailout bottle is not complete until you have considered doubles. YMMV

2. Would you rather have a 13 wishing it was a 19 or a 19 wishing it was a 13? The weight and drag is not that much different.

If you get a pony, get a larger size. Smallest would be 19. 30 or 40 is ever better.

I wouldn't recommend attaching it to your tank. They work better better slung on your left side. Plus, if you ever go to technical dives, you can use the tank as a stage bottle and you are already familar with it being slung.

Just remember, the pony or stage is NOT an air supply for the dive. It is there in case of a total system failure. You should completely ignore it when planning your dive. I mean completely ignore it. Planning your dive and saying, well we can hit X depth and Y time and be safe, besides if something goes wrong and we are down a bit longer we have the pony is not safe diving.

Never ever ever count the air in your pony in your dive planning.

On a dive a few months ago... I was down at 20fsw and had a o ring seal blow on the tank... (Which was a rental) . I did have a buddy and we were on the way down so after getting his octo, he turned off my bottle and we accended. After getting a new bottle we finished our dive. But after that dive I have been thinking about the extra gas....I use the rule of thirds but with this kinda failure knowing I had extra gas would have been nice.. however having a good buddy to dive with is also very nice...

If, after researching the advantages and disadvantages of caring a pony bottle you decide to get one, here is my two cents:

• 30cf min.
  • Sling it. (you can do a search for info on slinging)

May I ask, are you planning on diving solo, or don't trust your buddy?

docmojo:

Mojo, The amount of "time" from a pony bottle depends on a lot more than the person. Perhaps a better way to ask the question is "how many breaths will I get?". The answer to this depends on numerous factors. The most important factor is depth. Other factors are water temperature, current, amount of equipment attached to diver, diver's comfort (calm or near panic), and as you mentioned the diver's natural air consumption rate. The pony bottle should not be used to extend your bottom time, nor is it intended to. The pony is strictly a redundant air source for emergencies.

All this stuff said, to answer your question of "How Long?" you need to first learn how to determine your "surface consumption rate". Once you know what this rate is, you can then select a pony bottle for the type and depth of diving you do. At minimum, one would expect pony to supply enough air to ascend at 30'/min. and then perform 3 minute safety decompression.

A good way to attach pony (13 cu.ft. and larger) is the Quick Draw Bracket. Once you get this figured out, you will need to remove an amount of weight from the side bottle is attached to so that you will remain balanced in the water. By the way, are you a fan of "The Mojo Blues Band"?

Back
Top Bottom