Pony bottle with DIN or Yoke??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Can you guys really imagine a dive shop guy grabbing an Al pony bottle and filling it to 3500 psi just because?

Hm.

Yep, it's happened to me more than once!

Dr. Bill

Personally I consider a yoke adaptor as a potential failure point due to added leverage.

Dr. Bill

PS- The "yoke" is on you!

kelphelper:
Oooh. I like it! If I switch the pony to DIN I need to buy a new valve anyway... why not buy one that gives me flexibility?? Thanks JimC!

I have a Thermo Pro valve. PM me if you are interested.

Glad you´ve decided to go with DIN.
I thought you could unscrew the "yoke-thingy" from all tank valves? Thats what I do when I ldive somewhere less civilized ;-)

grazie42:
I thought you could unscrew the "yoke-thingy" from all tank valves? Thats what I do when I ldive somewhere less civilized ;-)

Unfortunately, no. I’ve used tanks with “DIN/Yoke” valves in the Maldives and the Philippines—they were quite common. I rarely see “DIN/Yoke” valves in Thailand.

All of my tanks have the convertable DIN/Yoke valves. I dive DIN but some of my buddies dive Yoke so I just screw in the slug and it's a yoke tank.

I've never had a problem with any of them.

It's the best way to go.

TT :wink:

dilligaf368:
I can see a couple of problems right off. First is that if/when You go to another store other than the one You use regularly, some kid could look at the valve arrangement and seeing DIN they might be inclined to fill the pony bottle to 3500 psig instead of reading the lable on the bottle. Some stores are in a hurry. Not all employees are created equal. Some look at each bottle some don't.

You are kidding me here. So when I come in with my LP Steele tanks - you think some kid may be filling them to 3500psi just because they are DIN? Not that it would bother me any -- but that has never been my experience in a shop other than cave country where overfills are no accident.

The second problem is that if You travel to distant dive sites and they don't pump High Pressure, Your stuck bringing an adapter to fill the bottles or to install Your regulator for the dives. Personally, I have both so I will be prepared for anything. B--

So - keep an adaptor in the kit -- not a real big deal. And worth it to dive DIN.

Kimber

Back
Top Bottom