DIN Tank Availability in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel Divers has tanks with DIN valves. My wife and I dove with DIN valves and Nitrox on March 7, 2024. When I made our booking, I asked for DIN valves. Also, the day before the dive, I reminded them that we needed DIN tanks. But like you, I also carry our own DIN to Yoke converters just in case. So far, I have only had to use them once.

We have DIN regulators. We always have adapters. Makes it easy. We dive with a few different ops. I am sure if we asked ahead we could have DIN tanks, if the dive company didn’t have them they are easily rentable. With with our adapters it’s just not that important for us to have a DIN tank.
You loose any advantage to having a DIN regulator by that setup.
1. You still use the Dive ops Oring on the Tank.
2. You add an additional point of failure (the adapter to tank to DIN).

To the best of my knowledge every operator has DIN tanks. Either their own tanks with convertible valves or they can get rentals from any of the fill companies.
Now they are used infrequently and may have to try a few tanks to get one without a seized donut, but that is not usually a problem. Sometimes there may be shortages of DIN oddball tanks (EAN36 vs EAN32 100's, ect) so it is always a good idea to communicate your needs in advance as opposed to 5 minuites after scheduled departure on the boat.

You loose any advantage to having a DIN regulator by that setup.
1. You still use the Dive ops Oring on the Tank.
2. You add an additional point of failure (the adapter to tank to DIN).
This is true but I think the point is "use the adapter if and only if you can't secure a DIN tank" .
To the best of my knowledge every operator has DIN tanks. Either their own tanks with convertible valves or they can get rentals from any of the fill companies.
Now they are used infrequently and may have to try a few tanks to get one without a seized donut, but that is not usually a problem. Sometimes there may be shortages of DIN oddball tanks (EAN36 vs EAN32 100's, ect) so it is always a good idea to communicate your needs in advance as opposed to 5 minuites after scheduled departure on the boat.
That's my future plan once I purchase my DIN regulator. Months before a trip when I'm making my reservations with the dive op, say 3P, I will be asking about the op's ability to supply me with DIN tanks. If I plan to be diving a lot, I'll ask for Nitrox/DIN.

What is the advantage?
Yes, I don't understand that either. If you take the donut out you are left with standard DIN tank with no additional o rings. For the first 5 or 10 years of Aldora we only had din tanks... and converting for yoke regs required adapters until they came out with the donuts. Frankly I always preferred DIN regulators as at the time they handle the high pressure our steel tanks required

What is the advantage?
I use DIN because I prefer the more compact profile compared to the yoke. It sticks up less than a yoke and the way it threads into the valve, rather than around the valve like a yoke, I believe it to be a more secure set up.

That being said, I dove with yoke for several years and my wife dives with a yoke first stage and neither of us have ever had issues with the yoke.

Anecdotally, DIN seems to be a more common option in Cozumel compared to when I started going there in the early - mid 00s.

What is the advantage?
What Dan G said, plus the O-ring is on the regulator, not the tank. So you're not at the mercy of a bad tank O-ring. Last, like Dave said DIN can handle higher pressure tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom