Pony bottle with DIN or Yoke??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like oggie said, get DIN as all your regs are DIN, you can swap out in a pinch.

Boogie is on it. Get DIN. Standardization is a wonderful thing.

Go with DIN.
I have DIN on all my tanks(steel or al.)
Carry a fill adaptor and DIN to yoke adaptor in my parts box.

Standardization is a great thing... go all din. from tech experience, if all the fittings are the same they can be easliy swapped. i've had a buddy even a reg under water due to a freeflowing reg on his deco gas. he pulled off his back up and used it on his deco bottle to help get him out of the water quicker... just a thought, keep them the same

Go DIN - don't even think about screwing with a single yoke reg. Keep a yoke adapter for travel since DIN can be a little problematic to find in the boonies.

My primary tanks are all DIN but my pony bottle is yoke. And of course, there's a reason... I like to have both yoke and DIN regs (all Mk10/G250's) in my dive closet. When I travel, I take the yoke reg since all our gear is yoke on the Lindblad ships.

My pony is Al 3,000psi. Have yet to see an HP steel pony, but I'm sure some of the tech oriented shops may carry them. Seems a bit overkill to me. My pony is mounted upside down so the valve is fairly well protected from damage.

Dr. Bill

Can you guys really imagine a dive shop guy grabbing an Al pony bottle and filling it to 3500 psi just because?

Hm.

I'll say DIN. But I like options..... I would take some extra bucks and get a yoke adapter and put in your kit for just in case. When you are local, you know what you need and where to go to get good fills and such. No problems with DIN then... When you travel, which many of us do, then some times you need that "option" to convert it to something that works. You also never no when you might have equipment problems and that might be one extra thing that could keep your diving day going.

Thanks all!

I had been leaning a little toward DIN for the pony but wanted to know if I was missing anything. The few arguments for a yoke on the pony are all helpful too but I haven't seen anything yet that overcomes the argument for consistency in my gear.

tkrock, I have a yoke adaptor and I never would have guessed this could happen but I learned tonight that it went bad. The tech guy told me they are marine brass and subject to dents and bending out of shape. Who knew?? I had trouble with it last month and LUCKILY the dive tank trailer had ONE DIN tank to rent. It was my lucky day!! There has to be a lesson there. ;-)

Deb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom