Please be careful with pharmacy drugs in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not travel to Mexico and never will again. Anyone in Mexico buying drugs OTC or illicitly should be prepared for any of it being either useless, tainted or just plain poison.

Anyone in Mexico buying drugs OTC or illicitly should be prepared for any of it being either useless, tainted or just plain poison.
I guess that you missed this...
My wife and her friend who was on vacation with us were the ones who saved the woman. The woman bought the medication at one of the hole in the wall pharmacies not knowing that they really are not legit. She asked the pharmacist(or at least the person pretending to be one) for direction on what to take for a migraine because had left her prescribed medication at home. She had no idea of the fentanyl problem.
I've forgotten to take medicine with me on a trip to Cozumel and was glad to find it in a drug store there, but knew not to visit the little ones near the plaza.

Reason # 1778 that I no longer want to spend my money in the corrupt and unsanitary country of Mexico.

Just so you know that she was not "buying drugs OTC or illicitly ."
Last week one of our guests at the Villa Aldora experienced a serious migraine headache, and searched several downtown, street front stores where she was able to buy some illegal but properly marked Percocet. When back to the Villa, took one and within one hour she stopped breathing and no heartbeat was detected.

This bolded text above is from the OP. Seems illegal and illicit to me. A hole in the wall pharmacy?
At the risk of sounding cruel: How does anyone not know about the fentanyl epidemic coming out of Mexico?

The woman bought the medication at one of the hole in the wall pharmacies not knowing that they really are not legit. She asked the pharmacist(or at least the person pretending to be one) for direction on what to take for a migraine because had left her prescribed medication at home.
CVS and Walgreens do not operate on the island so many don't know how to look for the safest pharmacies.
How does anyone not know about the fentanyl epidemic coming out of Mexico?
It's a known problem, but not universally known. Many do not pay attention to problems with illicit drugs because those are not part of their usual lives. I know a little, but not much.
She had no idea of the fentanyl problem.

Just so you know that she was not "buying drugs OTC or illicitly ."
It sounds like she bought the medication from the pharmacy/pharmacist without a prescription, that sounds like over the counter. Apparently, it was labeled as Percocet (generic, oxycodone + acetominophen), actual contents unknown. From at least one source, it appears that oxycodone may be available OTC and would be legal in Mexico.

I am no expert, was interested in the topic after reading this thread. Do your own research. Personally, I would be hesitant to purchase DEA scheduled drugs, particularly schedule II, without a prescription and a reputable pharmacy.

At the risk of sounding cruel: How does anyone not know about the fentanyl epidemic coming out of Mexico?
You are mistaken sir, Mexico has nothing to do with the Fentanyl problem, AMLO has decreed it.

There is a supply because there is a demand (in the US).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom