Please be careful with pharmacy drugs in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those of us that live here do not buy our medications from those closet sized pharmacies or really any of them in the tourist areas. I'm not even sure of the name, but generally I use the one on 30 and 11 - it is in town, a big place and generally carry anything you would get prescribed....

Unreal selling that crap here or anywhere for that matter... In any civilized society, that would be reported and pharmacies would get inspected - instead we get immigration chasing hookers and closing bars for no reason...
The pharmacy that is on 11 x 30…I use it is Ahorra.There is also one at Juarez x 30.

Dave Dillehay

I think with the general thinking that all drugs are legal here, someone could think percocet would be legal here. I don't know pills, I've heard of percocet in the sense of an abused pain killer, maybe I have heard of it prescribed - but that drug seems old in the abuse sense.

My very soon to be ex wife bought Tramadol here, I think that was something for pain.

Nobody selling you anything will say it's illegal here.

That is another problem with these pills. People buy them, not even knowing what they actually are or what the correct dosages are supposed to be. Tramadol (Ultram) is a narcotic and a controlled substance in the U.S. While it is much ``milder'' than a Percocet for most patients, it can still lead to OD and be very habit forming. Don't take this as an attack on you, but it is a great teaching moment.

I don' know this woman's situation, or what she actually ingested, but these pills come in a variety of dosages. Simply grabbing one off the shelf is never a good idea. What you might think is your home med, say a 5-325, is actually a 15-325. The pills she took might have been exactly what they said they were, problem is, she might not have actually known WHAT they actually were.

If your doctor doesn't prescribe it in the U.S. (or a doctor in a legit hospital and pharmacy isnt dispensing it overseas) don't go grabbing it off the counter somewhere else.

That is another problem with these pills. People buy them, not even knowing what they actually are or what the correct dosages are supposed to be. Tramadol (Ultram) is a narcotic and a controlled substance in the U.S. While it is much ``milder'' than a Percocet for most patients, it can still lead to OD and be very habit forming. Don't take this as an attack on you, but it is a great teaching moment.

I don' know this woman's situation, or what she actually ingested, but these pills come in a variety of dosages. Simply grabbing one off the shelf is never a good idea. What you might think is your home med, say a 5-325, is actually a 15-325. The pills she took might have been exactly what they said they were, problem is, she might not have actually known WHAT they actually were.

If your doctor doesn't prescribe it in the U.S. (or a doctor in a legit hospital and pharmacy isnt dispensing it overseas) don't go grabbing it off the counter somewhere else.

That is my soon to be ex, not anyone that I agreed with!!

Pain medications are nasty nasty things - I only wonder if they have helped as many as they have destroyed....

After 3 pages of posts it’s important to remember that opioid painkillers are illegal in Mexico. Unlike some other drugs you cannot simply walk into a pharmacy and legally purchase them. So this woman purchased illegal drugs that contained fentanyl. It think it’s a bit of a jump to say don’t trust the legal and legally produced drugs in Mexico. If you purchase illegal drugs (anywhere) you do so at your own risk.
(Edited to clarify opioid pain killers)

If you purchase illegal drugs (anywhere) you do so at your own risk.
Strange talk coming from someone who uses a Grateful Dead graphic for his avatar. :D

I need a miracle every day, myself...

After 3 pages of posts it’s important to remember painkillers are illegal in Mexico. Unlike some other drugs you cannot simply walk into a pharmacy and legally purchase them. So this woman purchased illegal drugs that contained fentanyl. It think it’s a bit of a jump to say don’t trust the legal and legally produced drugs in Mexico. If you purchase illegal drugs (anywhere) you do so at your own risk.

Tramadol is a painkiller is it not? Perfectly legal here.

Advil is a pain killer - I own those.

Maybe the correct way to say it is opiod based prooducts are illegal if that is what it is - I personally have no idea what percocet is based as only hear it referenced for pain - never taken it and hopefully never will have to.......

With the large graphic display boards in the tourist areas listing drugs that are commonly scrip only in the US, it would be really easy for someone to be mislead as to what was legal and what was not. I understand people wanting cheap prescriptions but........

I understand people wanting cheap prescriptions but........
Most meds are cheapest from reputable Canadian pharmacies that require prescriptions, made in India by the same factories that ship to the US. Recognized patent owners license them to make and sell locally marked “For sale in India only” like 90% cheaper. The Canadian firm with an office there buys and ships direct. It's amazing how much meds are jacked up in the US.

But the lady mentioned in post one wasnt trying to save money. She needed relief and should have gone to a hospital that caters to tourists.

Advil is a pain killer - I own those.

Maybe the correct way to say it is opiod based prooducts are illegal if that is what it is - I personally have no idea what percocet is based as only hear it referenced for pain - never taken it and hopefully never will have to.......

With the large graphic display boards in the tourist areas listing drugs that are commonly scrip only in the US, it would be really easy for someone to be mislead as to what was legal and what was not. I understand people wanting cheap prescriptions but........
Tramadol is an opioid as well.
red flag to me is someone looking for a Percocet to treat a migraine… I think there is more to the story. If you are looking for a narcotic on the street, there is a lot higher change of ending up in trouble…

Captain “obvious”.

Concur with @Ukmc that Tramadol is opioid based as is Percocet.

I doubt either are "perfectly" legal in Mexico.

Tramadol is an opioid as well.
red flag to me is someone looking for a Percocet to treat a migraine… I think there is more to the story. If you are looking for a narcotic on the street, there is a lot higher change of ending up in trouble…

Captain “obvious”.
Although it also raised my eyebrows when I read that she was trying to treat a migraine with Percocet I would not jump to the conclusion that she knew she was buying an illegal drug. Those tiny "pharmacy" storefronts look legit. It's not as if she went up to Stringer Bell on the corner and bought pills.

That being said, when you suffer from migraines, you'll do just about anything to get it to stop. Perhaps she could not find her usual remedy so she bought something, anything that would relieve the pain and help her sleep. This is why I travel with a veritable pharmacy of over the counter meds, including my most effective migraine treatment, which is also over the counter. I once tried to find a stomach remedy in China. That was a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom